when you're dreaming with a broken heart, the waking up is the hardest part

3

3

Imani

I walk into the restaurant, and the hostess guides me to a corner table, and there she sits, my former client, Maria. It's been three years since I last saw her. I got a call from her to meet her, though I don't know what this meeting will be all about. I haven't kept in touch with any of my clients ever since I left the firm.

"Maria," I say, trying to hide my surprise. "It's been a while." She appears to have kept her promise to take care of herself after I successfully helped her in regaining custody of her children from her husband's family.

She smiles, though it doesn't quite reach her eyes. "I know, and I wouldn't have asked you here if it wasn't important."

I slide into the chair opposite her, curiosity gnawing at me. "Are you alright? Are the kids okay?"

She nods. "We're good. It's about Jenny, my friend. She's in trouble, and I don't know who else to turn to. I went to the firm to look for you, but they said you don't work there anymore."

My heart skips a beat, but I compose a smile. "Yes, that's right."

Maria leans in closer, her voice barely audible. "Jenny's been accused of a crime she didn't commit." She takes a deep breath, her eyes betraying a sadness that goes beyond words. "She's scared and doesn't have anyone else to turn to, and I thought...I thought you could help her, just like you helped me."

This is the part where I tell her that I can't take her friend's case, but I don't, so instead I ask, "What's happening with your friend?"

"They are accusing her of embezzlement. It's insane, but the evidence is stacked against her." She slides a folder across the table, containing financial records and documents. "Jenny worked for a small nonprofit, and someone has manipulated the accounts to make it seem like she stole funds. But I know her, Imani. She's not capable of such a thing."

As I flip through the documents, I pause, contemplating my response. "I appreciate you bringing this to me, Maria, but..." I hesitate, sighing. "I'm sorry, I can't take your friend's case. I'd refer you to a good lawyer. He's a friend of mine, and he works pro bono—"

But Maria's interruption is swift, her voice filled with desperation. "No," she insists, shaking her head. "Please, don't do that. It has to be you. You're the only one who cares. The other lawyers didn't want to take a pro bono and some of them didn't take it seriously. Please, Imani, she's the only family her children have left. If she gets sent to prison, they will go straight into foster homes. They might even get separated."

I take a moment to gather my thoughts, conflicted between the urge to help and the limitations on my career. If I take this case, there's no doubt my father will find out, and I'll have to explain why I'm breaking my promise to him. I can't do it myself, but I also don't want to disappoint Maria. So, I decide to bring the case to my friend, have him reach out to Jenny, and support in any way I can without becoming their legal representative.