i am the architect of my own destruction

2

2

Ezra

I step into the exam room, my white coat flapping behind me. It's almost noon, and I had already seen dozens of patients. A middle-aged man sits on the bed, his eyes flicking nervously towards me as I approach him. I flash him a friendly grin, trying to ease the tension.

"Hey, John. How's it going?" I ask, taking a seat on the stool beside his bed.

"Not so great. I've been having some chest pain lately," he replies, his voice trembling slightly.

"Tell me about it. When does it happen?"

John rubs his sternum, wincing in discomfort. "Usually when I'm active, like walking up the stairs or carrying groceries. But it's been happening more often lately, even when I'm just sitting down."

I nod thoughtfully, taking out my notepad. "Any other symptoms? Shortness of breath? Nausea? Dizziness?"

He shakes his head. "No, just the pain. It's like a pressure, you know?"

I jot down some notes, then look up at him with a reassuring smile. "Okay. First, we're going to do an ECG, which will give us some information about your heart rhythm. It's completely painless, and it only takes a few minutes. Sound good?"

He nods warily. "Yes, but what if it's bad news, doc? What if I need surgery?"

"We don't know anything yet. But even if you do need surgery, I'm going to take good care of you." He nods, and I give him a small smile, trying to lift his spirits. "Now, let's get that ECG started, shall we?" I dart my eyes to the nurse. "Lila, mind giving me a hand?"

The nurse steps forward, handing me the leads as I begin to attach them to his chest. As I fix the electrodes to his chest, I notice his nervous expression and try to lighten the mood with some small talk. "So, John, what do you do for fun?"

He gives a small, hesitant chuckle. "Well, I used to play golf, but my wife says I need to cut back on the beer if I want to lower my cholesterol."

I chuckle in response. "I hear you. My fiancée's always on my case about eating more greens. But hey, it's all about making healthy choices, right?" Once the electrodes are in place, I start the ECG and wait for the results to come in. I lean in closer, my eyes fixed on the readings. "Hmm, okay, just a few more seconds...there we go. Alright, John, let's talk."

     John looks up at me, his brow furrowed with worry. "What is it? Is something wrong?"

I shake my head reassuringly. "No, no, everything's fine. I just wanted to tell you a little about why I became a cardiologist."

His eyes widen in surprise. "Oh, okay. Why's that?"

My gaze drifts off into the distance, a soft smile on my lips. "I've always been fascinated by the heart. It's such an incredible organ, capable of so much. And when I was in high school, I met this amazing woman who stole my heart. So I guess you could say I became a cardiologist to protect the thing I love most."