on the highway to hell

16

16

Imani

     Avoiding Dad, Ezra, and Nicholas is surprisingly easy; the big space provides enough distance for comfort. Though I can still spot them across the room, it's not as suffocating as I thought it would be.

     "What are you doing?"

     Sydney's question interrupts the party's hum, her champagne glass gripped tightly as she surveys the guests, maintaining a poised smile. Caught off guard by her sudden appearance, I'm relieved that she isn't among those I'm trying to avoid tonight.

      "What?" I respond.

     "Hiding away like a wounded animal," she retorts, briefly tearing her gaze from the crowd to focus on me, her features perfectly composed.

     "Maybe it's because I do not appreciate surprises."

     "You're talking about Nicholas." It's not a question; it's a confirmation, delivered with an air of indifference.

     I exhale, trying to rein in my building anger. "Couldn't you have at least given me a heads up?"

     "You wouldn't have come if I did."

     I clench my fists, attempting to keep my emotions in check. "You ambushed me. What the hell did you expect me to do, throwing some random guy at me?"

     She looks at me, a perfect eyebrow arching. "That was going to be the man you were going to marry. I wouldn't say he's a random guy."

     "I wasn't going to marry him, ever. I still won't, so I hope you'd tell Dad to stop playing matchmaker."

   My sister pauses, seemingly grappling with my decision. "What's wrong with Nicholas? He's perfect, and you know I don't compliment men often."

     "If you think he's perfect, why don't you marry him?" I add, knowing well her aversion to the idea of marriage. My sister, with her string of admirers, has always evaded the commitment talk. The irony isn't lost on me.

     She hesitates before responding, "I have better things to do."

     "Oh, you mean forcing me to be with another man when I haven't even celebrated my husband's death anniversary?"

     "If you waste your time hooked up on a man that's never coming back, you'd never be happy," she declares, and just as I'm about to give her a piece of my mind, three uninvited guests drop into our conversation. My defenses shoot up instantly as I recognize her friends.

     Emma, her hair perfectly curled, shoots me a strange look. Jake, always the smooth talker, greets Sydney with a grin, and then there's Lily, whose piercing gaze seems to dissect us.