Goddess of War | 17

Athenas POV

"Please fasten your seatbelts as we are now landing in London," I hear over the loudspeaker as I slowly open my eyes and look out the window.

It's pitch black outside and the little lights of buildings illuminate the darkness like stars. I lean my head against the window and sigh.

Jamie must hear me sigh because she places a hand on my shoulder and gives it a slight squeeze, smiling at me softly.

I give her a smile back, feeling bad about how I ignored her when we first sat down on this plane.

"Everything will be okay. Your mom said she will be meeting us at the airport so you will get to see her soon,"Jamie explains.

I nod my head and look back out the window, unsure of how to feel or act when I see the woman who calls herself my mother.

Should I act happy after not seeing her in so long? Or should I ignore her or ridicule her for leaving all those years ago? What's even the right way to handle this situation?

I feel my nerves grow as we step off the plane and into the terminal. I let my arms hang by my side and clench my fists as I follow behind Jamie and the social worker to get our bags.

I only had one suitcase packed with clothes and necessities, leaving everything else that I had behind, not that it was a lot either way. In addition to my suitcase I had a backpack with my old laptop and my journal tucked away inside.

After retrieving all of our belongings, Jamie leads us to an area outside, away from other people which confuses me.

"Where are we going?" I ask, unsure as to why we weren't waiting where everyone else was.

We continue walking before being let into a large area besides the airport where rows of planes are parked, and no one in sight.

"Your mother has instructed me to bring you here. I did not mention this to you since I didn't want you to be too overwhelmed but your mother is quite a big character. She owns a large company and her husband is The Prime Minister," Jamie says as she looks at me worriedly.

I stop in my tracks as I look at her dumbfounded.

"What?" I say, taken aback by the sudden information.

"Your mother will of course explain more to you than I can, but this is the information that I can provide to you at this moment," Jamie explains.

Fuck. How well known exactly is my mother? And Prime Minister? Her husband?

I contemplate making a run for it right then and there. The last thing I want to do is be known as some hotshot business woman and The Prime Minister's daughter. I wanted to stay under the radar while I was here. What the hell am I supposed to do now?

I run my hands through my hair as I look around me. There is no one near us besides me Jamie, and the social worker behind me. I could definitely bolt and just live with the small amount of money I have. Get a part time job and work until I fulfill the promise in my journal.

Before I can put my plan into motion, three black SUV's stop around fifteen feet in front of us.

I freeze.

It's too late.

I take a hesitant step back, not very confident that I could run away but still willing to try.

However, just as I'm about to flee I see her. It's really her.

She may have aged a little but she almost looks exactly like she does in my memories and the few pictures in the house.