Goddess of War| 13

Athenas POV

"For 2 years now. It started when I was 15." I say through gritted teeth finally after Uncle Kenji and Kai all but force me to explain.

We were currently sitting in my Uncles living room. After a long and excruciating car ride home that was filled with questions, that were only answered by my silence, we had arrived here. I was currently sitting in an armchair as my Uncle and best friend sat across from me on the couch with their full attention on me.

We had been sitting like this for around an hour, countless questions thrown my way and when I had not answered it resorted to threats and when that didn't work, there were pleas. I finally broke my silence when a tear slipped from my Uncles eye. He quickly regained his composure but I could tell he blamed himself.

He thinks that he failed me in some way. He hadn't. He had done so much for me these past few years, more than I could ever ask for, and what went on between those 4 walls of a house did not concern him. He didn't need to know the type of monster his best friend had turned into.

James and Uncle Kenji barely talk anymore but they do on rare occasion to catch up. When they do, James is sober, and it is typically in the morning when I am at school. Conveniently, James always forgets what he does to me when he's drunk. The verbal assaults that I get as well as the vicious beatings. He thinks that we just have a normal relationship and that I had pulled away because of "puberty." Yeah fucking right. I pulled away because of that devil.

"Why didn't you come to me. I would have helped you, taken care of you. I mean just what...what made you think you couldn't come to me." My Uncle says in a meek voice.

"It's not that I thought I couldn't. I just didn't need to. What has gone on there is not something you need to concern yourself with. It's business between me and James. No one else. I'm fine." I explain calmly.

It was true in a sense. It was business between me and James. But in a way I couldn't handle what he was doing to me. However, deep down I knew he was my flesh and blood and I would remember the good times we used to have together as I was growing up. Those memories and reminders were what kept me from reaching out for help every time, and as I grew up my pride grew as well, preventing me from asking for help no matter how bad it got.

"Even so Athena, you should have come to us, or talked to anyone about this. What he is doing isn't right and you know it. It's abuse." Kai explained harshly.

"I'm fine. I can handle myself perfectly fine." I say a little too harshly. I wasn't a baby anymore. I could take care of myself.

"My house is always open for you Athena. Whenever you need you can just come knocking on my door. Wether it's a place to sleep or somewhere to just sit down." My Uncle says as he gets up.

He walks over to his mini bar in the corner of the room and pours himself a glass of whiskey over ice. This conversation was making me crave the same thing. Recalling the abuse I had been through does things to me. Almost as if each beating has chipped away at my soul a bit and recalling it just reminds me of how broken I truly am.

Before I can let my thoughts take over, Kai speaks up again saying, "So what's your involvement with Timothy then."

I turn towards him. A cold expression on my face at the sense of betrayal I was feeling from him. Yes, I may have hid aspects of my life from him, but for good fucking reasons. He hid not just a dirty little secret but a fucking gigantic one from me. Him and Uncle Kenji.

"My involvement with Timothy? Before that do you both care to explain why the hell you were at that meeting, receiving a shipment of literal weapons? And what was with the guards? I mean for christ sake I thought you ran a business Uncle Kenji!" I shout, letting my frustration get the better of me. The question had been gnawing at me ever since we left the warehouse and I was not going to stop until I got some answers.