19

"You're not part of the ceremony?" Tim asks as Mirana watches him steam his uniform

"Nope," She shakes her head as she pours herself a coffee.

"Why not?"

"The Chief of Police thinks that my father being a criminal is bad publicity for the LAPD," Mirana says.

"That's not right," Tim says, shaking his head. "I shouldn't go either"

"Hey," Mirana shakes her head. "You have been so excited about this ceremony. I still get the commendation and I don't have to deal with all the formalidad"

"You shouldn't be punished for who your father is," Tim shakes his head. "Hell, you arrested him!"

"It's fine," Mirana says. "You know I don't like being the centre of attention anyway"

"This is so wrong," Tim shakes his head.

"Tim, I've been at peace with my father taking things from me for over two decades," Mirana says, wrapping her arms around him. "It's nothing new for me, okay? I want you to go and get your award, have your photos and use this as a stepping stone to becoming a sergeant, okay?"

"It just feels wrong," Tim says, pushing a strand of hair out of her face. "How long have you known you wouldn't be part of the ceremony?"

"Since we were told we were getting the commendation," Mirana shrugs. "It's not a big deal, okay?"

"Alright," Tim nods. "I won't say anything about it today"

"Thank you," Mirana smiles at him before pressing a kiss to his lips. "I love you"

"I love you too,"

︵‿︵‿︵‿︵︵‿︵‿︵‿︵︵‿︵‿︵‿︵

"Did you invite your sister?" Mirana asks Tim as they drive through the city.

"I haven't spoken to Genny in a while," Tim says, drumming his fingers against the steering wheel. "Besides, I'm not making a big deal about this whole thing while they're screwing you over"

"Tim-"

"I know, I know,"

"Oh, hey, 3:00," Mirana says, looking out of the window. "Skateboarder's about to grab that woman's bag"

They watch as the skateboarder reaches for the bag but the woman readjusts it, causing him to keep skating on.

"Swing and a miss," Tim says.

Mirana looks forward to see a car stopped in front of them. "Tim!"

Tim slams on the brakes but it's too late. Mirana is rocked by the force of the impact, her head banging against the window pane.

She glances at Tim to see blood dripping out of his nose from his face hitting the airbag.

"You're bleeding," Mirana says.