• Chapter 18 • Blame

I'm back with another update
___________________________________________

Christian's POV (Edited)

Alana was shifted to a normal ward. After four hours of not getting a word from doctor, he finally came out. I couldn't express the relief I felt in words when doctor informed me about her condition. His exact words to be precise were

"She's fine. Her injuries weren't major as to say. She needs rest and alot of care though. Her shoulder had been plastered because her joint was dislocated. There might be some trauma but otherwise she's fine."

I thanked the doctor before asking him few more questions regarding her health. She's fine and that's all that matter. But precaution is better than cure. So, I took a deep breath before taking the lift to the third floor. She was staying there.

I had chosen the best room for her. I want her to have all the best services. As I reached her room, I stopped at the doorstep. My hand halted at the knob. A sudden wave of uneasiness washer over me making me calculate my actions. Is she sleeping? What if she's awake and doesn't want to talk to me?

She can blame me for letting it happen to her. I was supposed to take care of her. What if she doesn't want to talk to me? All these dark thoughts built their home in my mind leaving little to no space for rationality. I heaved a heavy sigh and took few steps backward. I don't know if I'm ready to face her.

I can't see her in that state. She was supposed to be fine and happy while leaving the project. She wasn't supposed to be injured and lying on a hospital bed. She shouldn't have been the one injured. I should have taken care of her. I messed up. I failed.

A pat on my shoulder made me turn around. Aaron was standing here. I called him and told him about the incident. He took the earliest flight possible and came here.

"How you're doing?"

I only shrugged in response. I don't know what to feel really. It's all been a little overwhelming. How did it even happen? Who can even did this? I'm still contemplating about the reason behind this ruckus? Who could cause it anyway? Kennedy's don't have much enemies. So, who did it?

"Look, I know it's unfortunate but look at the bright side. Alana's fine and breathing."

Aaron tried to reason. A dry chuckle left my mouth before I bitterly stated

"Yeah..injured and bruised. Not so bright is it?"

He only sighed and remained quiet. After a while, his voice again reached me

"Stop blaming yourself, Christian. It wasn't your fault. She was lost in the crowd."

"But I was supposed to take care of her. She was entrusted to me, Aaron. I'm the one who brought her here and it was my damn responsibility to take care of her."

It frustrated me how he's not blaming me. He should blame me. I messed up. But he only shook his head in return

"You were helping other employees and guests too. You couldn't be at multiple places at the same time, Christian. Don't be too hard on yourself."

It didn't assure me a bit.

"How's Anastasia?"

I just desperately wanted to change the topic. I don't want to talk about it at all. Aaron released a breath before replying

"She's worried. She couldn't come because you know. But she was worried for both of you. I hadn't told her the whole truth. I just said that there was an issue at the site. So, don't tell her anything."