Chapter 12

June soon fell asleep. "She said thank you," Aria says gesturing at her sister. "Her leg was better today, she said it was because you did something, which was nice of you." "Yeah? Well, welcome for that." I glance her way. We both stay awake in companionable silence. It was dark, time around 7 PM. There was no way of lighting a fire or anything, everything was already wet and we got drenched all over again by a shower half an hour ago. 

It was very hot and humid, and the bugs and mosquitoes would never stop pestering. But I guess it was better, to at least have someone around. The only sounds were occasional hoots and chirrups from the tree branches and the incessant chirp of crickets. I didn't realise when I fell asleep. 

JULY 4th, 2045. 05:20.

- Neyven -

ARIA'S POV:

I woke up with a start, it was still dark. Ian was also woken up by it, "You felt it too?" I ask. "Yeah." He drawled, his voice deeper than usual. The earth shuddered once, and again for a few seconds. June was up too. "Ari! What's going on? Is it the earthquake again?" she looks around in a groggy voice. "I don't hear any roars, so let's suppose it isn't the dinos." I get up. It started to get lighter. "What time is it?" she asks. "Past five. We should get going. A lot of time is already wasted as it is." 

"Here, let's get in some oxygen." I passed the cylinders to them. "Where are we going?" June asked, getting up. "Headquarters is the only option." Ian answers her. Damn! What's with his voice? I give him a hand, "Are your legs alright?" 

"Yeah, I mean I can-" His sentence was cut short and we all knew the reason. The real horror, just what we were anticipating. A low growl, on my left, from less than 12 meters away. We all know this sound. June's face goes colourless. Ian gulps. A rush of adrenaline pumps into my veins. 

We got to do something, and that, quick. Climbing up these trees is going to be tough, there weren't many low branches. My eyes darted around, there had to be at least one we could reach. "We can't climb them. It will cause enough movement for it to notice us." Ian whispers. "What do you suggest we do then? I have the least interest in becoming dino breakfast this morning." I glare at him. "For life's sake will you two please stop or else all three of us would be lucky enough to never make it to another day!" June exclaims her voice almost inaudible. 

I finally spot one. The tree standing cornerwise to the one we were resting under. "That one. It isn't that impossible." I eye towards it. 'Let's hope it (or they) haven't yet seen us.' I say to myself. "June. Slowly from behind this tree. Very carefully. And do not freak out." I tell her. "Shut up." She follows my word. "Ian, you go next." "After you, your sister will need you." Ian talks back. "Do you have any problem in doing what I'm telling you to? Just go, before it sees us, fighting." I retort. 

It growls again, coming a few steps closer. "I'm telling you to listen to me for once. You're too used to getting things your way." Ian whispers this time louder. "Just go. I have a plan." I take my stand.

JULY 4th, 2045. 05:40.

- Neyven -

IAN'S POV:

I hated obeying her, but I did it anyway. I help June get up first. It thankfully hadn't seen us yet. "Ian, what's she doing?" I look back. Is she nuts? Why is she waving her hands frantically above her head? Towards the creature?

I deliberated for a second if I should run back to her and drag her here or get up the tree. She looks at me and lips, "Climb up quick." "What do you think you're doing?" I ask her half gesturing. "Trust me. And get up." 

I make a grimace and climb up, stealthily making the least movement. She can die if she's dying to die, if that makes sense. By the minute the thuds get closer, worse closer to Aria. It's seen her. 

I settled into a position so that everything happening below was visible. She runs and stops near the quagmire now. Wait, is she planning to lure it into it? Shit, it is a bad idea, very. Besides the fact that it can sense the slightest motion, does she not know they are exceptionally smart creatures? 

She's gonna get herself killed, for sure. "June, stay right here. Don't worry, okay? When I whistle, throw something that way." I say pointing towards the opposite direction. She gave me a worried look, "Alright. Be careful." I get down, she had caught its attention already and was lurching towards her steadily. 

"Hey!" I shout. She looks my way and swears something under her breath. It didn't hear me. So, one weakness, a bad sense of hearing. "Why did you get down?" she shouts. "Just because I can't sit and watch you become dino breakfast." I took long strides to her and as soon as I reached, I gave a sharp whistle. 

Something cracked above and then fell somewhat away from us. Not enough to distract this demon. I hope June understood it. The creature stopped at the swamp, of course, it knows its danger. Aria gives me a perplexed look. "Yes, they're smart enough to understand between hard ground and a quagmire." 

It takes a path around the swamp towards us from behind the surrounding trees. This is our only chance. Aria had at least understood the situation and what was best to do, so when I grabbed her hand and dashed towards the nearest bush she didn't object. We both crouch close to the ground. "I think it saw us run." Aria said robotically. It still could see our heads practically. Yeah it did see us. One, two, three, four, I count inside my head, it's each step eliminating about a meter of distance in between at a go. I suppose we're fated to become dino breakfast after all.  

PS.: Heyleyo hunny bunnies! So tell me how you like it this far. ( Okay, first you can damn me as much as you want for popping up at all the wrong times, and leaving you on cliffhangers XD ) But do comment if you find it nice and, yes, most importantly, tap on that cute little star right there :)  Tq.

Okay, okay, I'll leave now, until the next chapter...

Happy Reading!