Chapter Three (Part 1): I'm in a Dream For Sure

The place gave a feel of an ancient palace... Everything looked ageless and preserved. 

It was nearing night time and the light started gently fading away. Some old lamps flickered along the stairs and the doors had been decorated with satin ribbons. Candles were placed along the railings, and stars were dangling, as though suspended from the sky. 

There was a hustle-bustle throughout the place and young people rushed here and there, huge books in their hands and bags hanging on one of their shoulders. Elderly people walked along the side lines, ordering instructions from the weary children.

And finally, there was a huge sign hung above which said, 'Welcome to Geventen'.

The railings along had also been freshly painted and there was an aroma of jasmine in the air. Grace climbed the staircase.

It was raining heavily through the warmth of the summer and people on the ground rushed to get inside the school. The rooms had been recently cleaned and swiped but the trainees managed to make them untidy again. 

In the light of the white iridescent bulbs that hung from the corners of the ceiling, Grace could see a huge white screen against the wall and a ceramic-white table beside it bedecked with a small plant of cactus. 

The night was melting and oozing and pouring through the windows; the distant lamp looked hazy across the sheet of rain glowing with the reflected light of the streetlamps.

Michael turned away from Grace as he walked alongside.

"I'm Michael, Michael Davis." He stopped and turned to face Grace.

Grace also halted.

"Listen, Grace, I know this sounds ridiculous and mental...but understanding the fact that we're not real is of utmost importance.

Grace wanted to laugh, but the firmness in his tone stopped her.

"What does that mean?"

"I'm not real. And nor are you." He continued. "We don't belong to this era. We don't belong here."

Grace listened intently.

The Powers outweigh the strength and what this world can bear. Hence, learning and careful usage of these Powers are of utmost importance. We need to learn how to use and control these Powers in the right way... He strained his eyes. And well... we have to come to Geventen or else...," he stopped without completing. 

A pause ensued.

"We start our journey, a journey that is different for each one of us...he continued. We are trained for the real world," he added. So that we don't harm it, and it doesn't harm us.

"Real world?" Grace asked.

"Outside Geventen," Michael answered her look.

"Arka? What's that?" Grace abruptly asked, recalling the word from her passive memory.

"This city. Geventen's only a part of the city like an ancient training centre," Grace nodded in understanding.

"But what are these? These unusual things?" Grace pointed at a man with one- eye walking at a distance.

Michael looked at Grace. 'Power,' He said uncertainly.

"What Power?" Grace asked.

Michael looked confused. "What do you mean by that?"

"There are no Powers! This is not a real world! It's my imagination, for sure!" Grace said, more to herself.

"There is Power. It is there everywhere. It's just that humans have been too ignorant to realize that it has always been there. For centuries. They have been lying to themselves, convincing themselves that there can be no such thing as Power. Every child, every person has a Power within...and only that one needs to realize it. And if you realize it in time... Geventen will always be there to welcome you."