Chapter 13

Fergus and Kaerius turned wide eyed and looked to where the sound came from.

 Kaerius ushered his family deeper into the bay and whispered to Fergus, "Our lungs are not prepared to go underwater."

Fergus glanced at the loud shouts and footsteps coming from beyond. "Hide." He whispers to them.

Kaerius holds Amatheia and his daughter closer to him and pulls them into a small dent in a nearby rock. His spoken whispers could be heard through the deathly silence.

Fergus ponders if he should hide himself. No. He must defend the merfolk and stay brave.

A group of fishermen enter the clearing and point at Fergus. "You!" One of them shouts out.

Fergus recognizes it as Brig.

Brig starts towards him in anger, his crew follows behind him. "I knew you had her! I could practically smell it on ya."

Fergus looks behind him in a bored gesture. "Are you talking to me, filth?"

Brig glares him down. "Tell us where ya hid our mermaid."

"Mermaid? Surely you are drunk, old man."

Brig laughs bitterly at his rudeness. "I'm 'bout as drunk as your grandma. Now tell us where our mermaid is!"The crew shouted their agreement.

"You all are just a blasted bag of nincompoops! You are all caught up in your wild tales that you don't see reality for what it really is!" Fergus shouted at them. He hoped the family had been fully developed as of yet.

"I bet he has her hidin' in this very bay." One of the men shouted and they all started forward, striping away their shirts and wading through the water.

Fergus panicked. "Get out of there you stupid feins!"

They all stopped and Brig stepped forward. "Why should we?"

Fergus was at a loss for words. Please, please be transformed into merfolk. He thought to himself.

"Look, ye ol' scallywags, he is protecting his mermaid. Probably locked into her siren spell." Brig said enthusiastically. They all continued to search through the water for the mermaid. After an hour, Fergus was sure that they had gotten away. The fishermen started arguing and shoving eachother.

Fergus left when he got the chance and jogged to his carriage to ride to his home.