Chapter 3

The mermaid has her eyes closed tightly and is stroking the baby's back and head when they arrive at his home.

He kicks at the door because his hands are full and waits for his wife. He kicks harder so the sound is louder.

Evalynn opens the door and screams softly."Evalynn, we have to help them. Get a bucket of warm water and milk, I don't know exactly what she needs to stay alive."

 Evalynn nods and closes the door behind him. "Fergus, it's- it's a mermaid!"

The mermaid hisses at her and clutches the baby closer.

"Evalynn, she was shot. I had to help her. Do as I say." Fergus sets her across their bed and the mermaid lies her baby beside her and passes out."Evalynn! Get some bandages, she's losing a lot of blood."

His wife comes in with a pint of milk and bandages. She brings over the pitcher of water she had in the washroom. She binds the mermaid's wound and covers the mermaid's bare chest with the blanket.

The mermaid wakes up and screams in pain.

Evalynn bounces back and instantly recovers to pet the mermaid's face."Dear, it's alright, just stay calm." Evalynn says softly, peacefully.

The mermaid tries to reach for her child, but her arms are too weak. She lets out a wail.

Fergus rushes to the baby and lifts it up gingerly. It churns in his hands and opens it's small mouth to let out a wail along with it's mother.He sets the baby in front of its mother and the mermaid weeps softly. She moves towards the babe and Fergus sets it next to her head.

The mermaid starts to sing to the baby softly. Tears fall down her face, for she knows that she will never see this baby grow.The mermaid looked towards the couple.

The man who helped her was tall, strong and handsome with dark brown eyes and light brown hair. The woman was small, but strength flowed from every pore. She was beautiful with blonde hair and knowing grey eyes.

The mermaid looked at her sweet baby girl and kissed her forehead lovingly. Then she moaned towards the man.The man stepped from his wife and bent towards the mermaid. "What is it, miss?"

She looked at her baby and then at him. Trying to tell him something. She whispered faintly, "Ssaaave."

"Save? Your baby?" He pointed at the small infant.

The mermaid nodded weakly. "Hurrrn" She nods at Fergus.

"Hurn?" Fergus whispered.

She shakes her head, frustrated. She holds up three fingers weakly. "Hour." She coughs, but tries to make a sharp noise, then she says, "Hurn." straight after.

"Turn?" Evalynn asks.

The mermaid nods weakly and smiles at her baby. Her skin is white and pasty. She starts to sing to her baby. Then she looks at Evalynn. She hums and nods her head and looks at her pleadingly.

"You want me to sing?" Evalynn whispers and kneels next to the mermaid's deathbed. The mermaid starts to hum and looks at her expectantly.Evalynn clears her throat and starts to sing softly.

The mermaid smiles and turns so she can see her baby and weeps silently.The baby starts to fuss and stares at her mother.The mother's eyes start to droop, she keeps her gaze on her child, then dies.