Chapter 1

Hey guys! Thanks for checking out my book! If you like this one, go check out my others!

Anyways, thanks! Enjoy! - Missa

Fergus Erikson laughed as his wife, Evalynn, and himself raced towards their home.

 "I'll make it there before you, Fergus!" She taunted to him as they ran. She was holding her skirts up immodestly so she could run better, but Fergus didn't care, there was no one around their serene home.

Evalynn screamed as Fergus caught up and lifted her off her feet. She laughed as he spun her around once and set her down.

They looked into eachothers eyes and saw the love there. Fergus bent down slowly to kiss her and she closed her eyes and waited.

It never came.

Fergus laughed as he sprinted off towards the house.

"Fergus! You nasty cheat!" Evalynn yelled.

He made it to the house first of course and was laughing ridiculously. He made a pouty face at Evalynn when she walked up to him, breathing heavily."Awe, come along, Evalynn! It was just for laughs." He said.

She stood in front of him and crossed her arms to glare. "That was not fair."

"Dearest, how many of times have you done the same?" Fergus asked and took her hand to kiss it.

She tried hard to keep away the smile appearing on her lips. "Well, I recall doing the same."

"You see?" Fergus slipped his arm around her waist and lifted her into his arms. "We are even. Now, how about I take my wife inside."

"And show her how uneven we actually are. There must be thousands of debts you have to pay." Evalynn finished.

"Excuse me? The debts I have to pay?" He was starting to set her down and his hands made large circles around her shoulders.

"Yes." She whispered with a sly grin. She looked back out the open door to the nearby sea. A deep frown crossed her face when she saw something oddly peculiar.

Fergus was kissing her cheek and stopped to look at what caught her eye.

 "Fergus?"

His eyebrows caved in on his forehead when he saw the large ship in their view. He shut the front door and pulled Evalynn deeper into the house. "Fergus? Was that a naval ship?"

"No, darling. It was a fisherman's." Fishermen stopped by at any nearby docks and tried selling their fish, goods, and their stories of creatures in the sea and very strange adventures.They started fights in bars and were no fine treasure. Kings around the world despised them, and so did the people.

Evalynn hadn't spoken until when they were retiring for the night. "Fergus, did you check to see if the doors and windows were locked?" She crawled under the covers of their bed and got comfortable.

Fergus smiled at her thoughtfulness and kissed her on the cheek. "I'll go check."

She smiled at him and said, "I'll be waiting."

He hurried to the doors and windows and found the front door slightly open. Evalynn must have opened it to let in fresh air.He was closing it when he heard loud noises coming from the beach.There were men yelling and then a loud BANG!

Fergus hurried to the large, old trunk near the coats and grabbed his boots. He carefully picked up the pistol lying to the side.

"Fergus, what has happened?" Evalynn comes into the room and glances at the pistol in his hand.

"I heard a gunshot and yelling. I'm going to investigate." He told her and headed out the door.

"Fergus! Please come back soon!" Evalynn said with worry.

"Just keep the fire churning and the bed warm my dear and I'll be back." He winks at her and heads out.