Chapter 9

He held his mate's cheek in his hand and smiled.

"My love, we will be together again." He spoke to her in their language. He kissed her cold lips and chanted the ritual. "Fate that was tested, do not be true. For I have the power to change it for you. Come back to the world of your brothers and sisters. Fate may not claim you this day." He slit his wrist with the dirk in his hand a opened her mouth with his other hand. He pressed his bleeding wrist to her mouth so that his blood flowed into her mouth. "Come back to me, Amatheia."

He waited and waited for her. He knew it was working when her tail started forming into human legs. He found some the human's clothing and donned it. He watched as the color started returning to her face.It would be a while until she came to. So he exited the room and into the front room where he found Evalynn cuddling his daughter.

She looked up at him and smiled softly. She was running her hand through the infant's hair.

The merman came over and knelt before the woman. He looked at her and held out his arms for his child.

Evalynn handed her over and smiled at them.

The baby smiled at her father and giggled as he held her in the air and sang to her softly in their own language.

"What's her name?" Evalynn asked.

The man kissed his daughter's forehead lovingly and whispered, "Nabia."

Evalynn smiled, "Nabia." She looked to her husband. He was also watching the pair with humor.

She walked over and check his neck again, but he waved her off. "It's just a scratch. Stop fussing over me, woman."

She gave him a kiss and whispered, "I want a child, Fergus."

He smiled. "Now, what does that have to do with my neck?"

She laughs softly and sees that the man was watching them with a knowing smile.

"I am sorry." He pointed at his own neck.

Fergus nodded. "You are forgiven. I believe I would have reacted the same way."

The man nods.

"What is your name?" Fergus asks.

The man looks at Nabia and sighs, "I am Kaerius."

The couple nod at him and go back to staring at the fire."So you speak English well?" Fergus asks Kaerius.

He nods. "Yes, Amatheia is not that far yet."

"But Amatheia..."

Kaerius looks at them and then at the bedroom. He hands Nabia over to Evalynn and enters the room.

"Fergus, he said that he could save her. Bring her back to life."

"How?"

"I am not certain, he told me to leave, so I did." She says as she nuzzles Nabia's fuzzy black hair.

Kaerius entered the room and closed the door behind him. He smiled at the sight of his mate breathing softly and had turned to her side. He crawled into the bed beside her and wrapped his arm around her waist.

Amatheia moaned and said in their language, "Kaerius. Nabia."

"I am here, love." He answered her, kissing her neck and cheek.S

he groans and sighs, "I'm dead."

"No." He says softly as he brings her closer to him.

"There was a man. He helped me and Nabia. His woman tried wrapping my wound in white strips of cloth." She whispers.

"I've met them my dear, they are kind people. Wake up fully and look at me." He backs up so Amatheia may turn and she opens her brilliant grey eyes to him. He felt like he was falling in love all over again. "Ah, I thought I had lost you."

She looks down at herself and turns red. "I'm not appropriately dressed."

"Yes, you should do that." Kaerius whispers and helps her up on her feet. She hadn't been in her legs for a while now, and she stumbled and swayed.Kaerius found a dress from Evalynn's trunk and helped Amatheia dress. He then takes her head in her hands and kisses her smoothly.

She kisses him back, then pulls back. "Nabia?"

"She is fine. Now let me kiss you, my love." Kaerius whispers.