12

|Rosé|

Lisa groans and I go to her side. I clutch her hand tightly. "You're okay!"

She chuckles. "Of course I am. I told you that I'm Lalisa Manobal."

I drop her hand. "You are so cocky."

She slowly sits up and mimics my voice, "You're extraordinary."

I punch her shoulder and she yells in pain. "OW! OW! OW!"

I immediately feel bad and gently rub the place I punched.. "I'm sorry."

Then she straightens and smiles goofily. I shout in frustration, "Lisa!"

"Great! You're awake!" The doctor says as she walks in.

Both of us look at him as he says, "We dressed the wound but in order to pull the bullet out, we had to—"

"It's okay," Lisa says. "I've done this before."

What?

I place a hand on her shoulder. "You've....been shot at before?"

She nods casually. "Of course! I'm an oldie remember? I have battle scars."

She turns back to the doctor and I stare at her.

She's been hurt before?

Something in my chest tightens at the thought.

She's been shot at....before?

I grip the edge of the bed as she talks to the doctor and I try to come to terms with the twinge of pain I'm feeling.

The doctor leaves and Lisa turns to me with a frown. "Are you okay?"

"Where....have you been....hurt?" I ask softly.

She lifts the borrowed shirt the doctors gave her and I see the white bandage on one side along with several white cuts along her torso and a healed stitch just above the waistband of her sweatpants.

I glance back up at her once she drops the shirt. "That's horrible Lisa! How could you put yourself through so much?"

She shrugs. "It's part of the job."

"But that's—"

"It's what I do Rosé," she explains softly. "I'm not a soft, silly person all the time."

I think back to the look in her eyes when she saw the guy hold the gun to my head.

"I know," I reply back in a low voice. "I just don't want you to get hurt."

She smiles

And I feel butterflies.

••••••••••
|Lisa|

For the next few days, Rosé was acting so weird.

She won't look at me properly and she won't say more than one word replies to my inquiries.

"How was your day yesterday?"

"Good."

"Did you get good sleep?"

"Yeah."

"Did you get what you wanted from the mall?"

"No."

"Should we go back?"

"No."

And on and on it went!

Normally, this is a sign, based on my 20 year dating experience, that someone is either angry with me or has a crush on me.