Chapter 13

Hermione had no difficulty finding the Slytherin dormitory. The alcove in the Hogwarts dungeon was plunged into darkness and when the statue of a large snake eating its tail burst through her irises, the young Gryffindor held her breath. She knew the password, Pansy had told her, and with her mouth half open, she said: Avifors.

A flock of birds pierced the wall and the snake, until then motionless, moved until it gave way to a large solid wooden door. Hermione passed through the protective wall and deafening music echoed, tearing out her eardrums with the melodious impulses. The common room was huge. Immersed in the underground regions of the wizarding school, the ceiling and walls were lined with raw stone. A glowing light of green mist sat in the room and Hermione narrowed her eyes to observe the students who were huddled together. Some were curled up against the fireplace with its mantle engraved with ancient runes and others sunk in black leather armchairs. Round greenish lamps hung from chains, giving a mysterious and dark appearance to the Slytherin living room. Through the translucent stained glass windows, we could see Hogwarts Lake. All the light, swirling with a forest green, was reflected in the room in an almost warm atmosphere.

"Hey, Gryffindor!" cried Pansy Parkinson from a few meters away.

With laughing eyes, the young woman with short black hair gulped down her glass of red wine and slalomed past the numerous students to join her. Hermione discovered a few familiar faces in the swarm of ants, giving her a burst of surprise. Katie Bell and the two Patil sisters were chatting fervently, arms dangling, royally ignoring her presence. Astoria Greengrass, Daphne's sister, was strutting around in the arms of a Slytherin, trying to catch the eye of someone in the room.

Turning away under the new arrival's long green manicured fingers, Hermione buried her caramel irises in Pansy's. She had a tipsy gait, swaying on her long legs and her lips were blistered from the bursts of laughter or the kisses exchanged with Blaise. She was wearing a tight black skirt so short that when she began to bend over, the young Gryffindor could almost see her buttocks. Giggling in her hands, suddenly laughing, Hermione looked at her. Pansy looked beaming.

"Granger, Granger," the Slytherin crooned in a shrill voice, grabbing her by the shoulders.

The hug that followed brought a blush to Hermione's cheeks. It was strange that Pansy was so friendly to her. As if there was no longer this abysmal hole of darkness between their two houses. The past no longer belonged to them, and the present was in the palm of their hands, with thousands of possibilities. The young Gryffindor smiled back, amused by the situation.

"You can't even understand what you just created in this damn boring evening with your arrival!"

"Uh-oh," Hermione snickered. "I think you drank too much. No one seems to notice me and it's not my wonderful presence that's going to change anything."

"You know what ? Stop talking, yes, like that. You're prettier."

Pansy had just placed her finger against the Gryffindor's lips and she burst out laughing at the Slytherin's words. She couldn't even be outraged by her words, on the contrary. She found the whole thing hilarious. Maybe it was indeed better if she kept quiet.

"I thought you loved my voice, Pansy. What a shame, you hurt me!"

Hermione imitated the Slytherin's intonation, as during their last conversation, and the young woman's lips rose in a wild and comical laugh.

"I knew we shared the same humor, Miss Know-It-All. Your books have taught you something at least."

"And maybe Blaise's lips taught you how to behave? Although, I doubt it."

They had a knowing smile, their shoulders quivered of conspiracy.

"Okay, Granger. I have a confidence to tell you."