Terror Awaits

... It's quiet.

Like floating in an endless void with no need for any input.

Is this what death feels like?

It was quiet... calm... almost peaceful.

Until you were awoken with a jolt of energy running through your chest, pain rocketing right behind as you shot up and smashed your head right into something else. You heard someone exclaim in pain as you both hit the floor. Air was freely moving through you as you gasped for breath while a bright light shone just below your view. You slowly pulled your head up as you saw what was creating the light.

You were in a room with a simple celling lamp shining down in front of you. You then heard a groan as you sat up. Lying down on the floor next to you was a massive person with yellow feathers adorning their entire body and bloodstained portions covering multiple parts of their body. Their feet also looked like that of a costume while resembling bird feet. They slowly began to get up themselves, struggling when pushing with their left hand before they sat completely upright.

The design of the empty black eyes with white pupils with three yellow feathers on the top and an orange beak spoke of a character you'd seen not too long ago. "Kickin Chicken!?" You yelled out in confusion before letting out a horrendous coughing fit. The giant toy quickly looked at you and reached for the bag you'd stuffed the food items in before, pulling out a water bottle.

He held it to you and said with a young but direct male voice, "Easy there, pal. You only just got back from death, drink some of this." You took the bottle and opened it, quickly gulping down the water before completely processing what he said. You then spit out the water as you stopped coughing, and you asked in confusion, "What did you just say!?"

He then face palmed himself as he muttered something you couldn't pick up on before saying, "Yeah, sorry. Didn't mean to drop that bombshell on ya so soon. But I was able to give your heart a jump start thanks to this..." He then reached over and pulled out the grab pack that was no longer strapped to your back. You then noted the nearby charging point for the green hand and quickly came to a conclusion.

"So... you electrocuted me to bring me back to life." You said before taking another sip of the water. The large toy nodded confidently and said, "Yep. I was present at the school once and heard about this process using machines called 'De-fib-ulay-taurs'." You were so stunned at the idea that you didn't even bother correcting him, and the two of you just awkwardly sat in silence for a few minutes.

The memory of the hallucination you just had was still fresh in your mind as you looked at Kickin Chicken, eyeing him suspiciously as you tried to think about the whole thing. The message you'd heard circled through your head again, and again. You found yourself scooting away from the large toy as you kept an eye on him. He noticed you scooting towards a door and flatly said, "You're scared of me, aren't you." You halted in your movement and kept your eye on the toy. He turned away and pulled his knees into his chest before saying, "I understand. That Red Smoke makes you see all kinds of things, but it mostly works against you. It makes you believe the opposite of what you think is right. It's not even that hard for more developed minds to shut down after intense exposure."

You were no longer reaching for the door as you chose to sit against the wall next to it while keeping your eye on Kickin Chicken. "How do you know this?" You asked, still cautious. The toy tightened his grip on his arms as he answered, "...There was an accident." You couldn't see the toys eyes, but you almost feel as if his eyes were burning, wait. You lifted your hand up to your face and wiped across it before pulling your hand back down. Your hand was now wet with just a few drops on the fingertips, tears.

Kickin Chicken then began to rise as he wiped his arm across his face before turning to you and speaking, "Look, I don't blame you if you don't trust me. That... thing, Catnap. He's done things that I can't forgive or forget. He and The Prototype need to pay." You also got up and looked through the door that headed deeper into Home Sweet Home. You then turned back to see Kickin Chicken facing away from you while slowly making his way to the door you came in. You closed your eyes and took a deep breath before saying, "Wait..." Kickin Chicken stopped and turned back to you as you continued, "I can't guarantee anything. But if you help me turn on the backup generator, then I can help you get out of here."