Ch. 40- Movie Date

Start from the beginning

He spoke to me calmly, conducted morning rounds in the wards and cabins with us, and assigned tasks. Silently, I followed his commands and worked alongside him. We had a few outpatients for surgical evaluations. Since it was my first day back after vacation, I wasn't going to assist in surgery or lead any. Instead, I would handle outdoor patients in the clinic and manage post-operative cases.

The day went smoothly until the drama unfolded during the lunch break.

We had a doctors' cafeteria that provided free meals for those with monthly subscriptions. As I approached to take my lunch, the servers informed me they had orders not to serve me cafeteria food.

It felt as if the entire sky had fallen over my head. People around me started whispering in gossip. Suzy sat across from me, looking confused.

Fuming with anger, I grabbed my phone to call my manager. However, I was surprised to find a single text from John.

"Call me when it's your lunchtime; we have your lunch." My anger turned into unfathomable confusion as I called John and demanded an explanation for who was responsible for cutting off my lunch in my own cafeteria. He didn't respond over the phone. Instead, to my horror, I saw him walking down the hallway to the cafeteria with a butler who served me food—some salad, brown rice, and two big chunks of fish fillets.

I gave John a horrified look; he seemed puzzled by my reaction.

"Rhys didn't tell you anything?" he asked, and I shook my head in confusion.

"Eat; we'll tell you when we get home," he ordered, scanned the surroundings, and left me alone to eat.

Everyone in the cafeteria looked at me with confusion. If I could have sunk deep into the floor, I would have felt much better.

"What's happening?" Suzy asked, and Anita, another friend who migrated from India as a doctor, also inquired from the next table about what was happening.

I shook my head to answer her; the day had been too hectic, and I was too hungry. Without any second thought, I started to eat my lunch. Suzy couldn't shake off her worries; she asked me again,

"Who's Rhys?"

Anita turned back to me, her curiosity piqued.

Now, what should I tell them?

"My... my boyfriend," I mumbled. Suzy's eyes shot up to her forehead.

"Your boyfriend!! YOU GOT A BOYFRIEND!! First, you were MIA for 3 weeks, now you have a boyfriend!!" Suzy almost yelled at me in a whisper. Anita overheard and came running back to me.

"OH. MY. GOD! Kay! Finally!! You got a boyfriend. Congratulations!!" Anita exclaimed, and I gave her the most uncomfortable smile.

"Did he send you all the food?" Suzy asked me. I shrugged a bit.

"So, tell me more about him. What does he do? Where is he from?" Brett sat beside me and asked.

Oh god, not Brett! NOT BRETT!!

Brett had been pursuing me for the last 7 months before I had met Rhys, aka Sameer, back in Italy. But I had never liked or cared for him. Not just Brett, there were many guys who wanted to take me on a date, but I had refused. Many people thought that I was gay or asexual. The more I wanted to keep my personal life private, the more it was getting exposed by my own kind—the subcontinental South Asian people.

"Is he handsome?" Anita asked me.

"Maybe he looked like God himself; otherwise, who could have wooed Kay?" Brett sneered at me, and I couldn't help but roll my eyes at his remarks.