⇛ 𝐂𝐇. 𝟒𝟕

things were beginning to feel normal within the safe haven. all the gladers were reunited and happy. everything was going smoothly until, a few people were infected by the flare by someone who had it before they arrived at the safe haven but hadn't shown signs. though it wasn't much of an issue because they were quickly cured with sumin and renjun's blood.

still, it did raise concerns among the people. they worried about the possibility of more outbreaks in the future. the safe haven was one of the last places on earth that hadn't been destroyed by the suns flares so it was unluckily that any person that wasn't immune would catch it from the sun. however, they couldn't predict the future and know if the flare would find a way to spread again.

that was when taeil and the other leaders decided they would give everyone the cure so that they would be immune for as long as they lived and so would their descendants.

sumin was a little annoyed by this sudden decision as she ended up in a bed, her blood being drained from her. it wasn't that much but enough to make her too dizzy to stand. she couldn't complain a lot though because she had agreed to this and so had renjun.

"how you feeling?" jeno asked, bringing her some food to keep her energy up. they had finally done taking her blood and started on the cures.

"great." she replied, sarcastically and scoffed. "why did i have to be the one with the cure?"

"just think of it this way, you're helping a lot of people."

"since when do you care about helping people?"

"hey. i'm trying to be nice!" he exclaimed. "and i do help people."

"sure, sure." she winked at him, playfully and then went quieter. "hey, i was thinking about something..."

"what is it?" he moved closer to the bed.

"what happens to the world after we die? me and renjun are — so far — the only known people with the cure in our blood so what happens when we're gone? will everyone else stay immune or will people start getting infected years from now?"

"why would you be worried about that? we'll be dead. who cares." jeno seemed confused. he thought she was worrying for no reason at all.

"yeah, but what about our future family? like... i-i mean..." sumin quickly trailed off, her face going bright red when she realised what she had said.

"future family, huh?" he repeated with a smirk.

"you get what i mean." she mumbled, unable to meet his eyes.

"cute." he whispered.

"stop diverting my attention! my point is what if there's more important stuff that we've forgotten? what if i used to know the answers to those questions?"

"well, you don't anymore."

"but i could..."

"are you... are you saying you want to get your memories back?" jeno asked, taken aback.

as far as he knew, all of them felt like they didn't need to get their memories back because they were fine with how things are now and were worried they'd change if they remembered their past selves. sumin was always vocal about fearing she'd change into a different person if she remembered again.

"i'm just thinking about it."

"who put the thought into your head? was it yurim? gosh, i knew i shouldn't have let her get close to you again."

"no—" she paused, realising she couldn't argue with him because yurim had brought the idea up to her many times after haechan regained his memories.

"thought so. i've had enough of her. she needs to stay away from you."