chapter 6

After a full day on the road, punctuated by brief stops for rest and sleep in the confines of the car, Ava and her aunt found themselves utterly exhausted. The wear and tear of a journey marked by fast food, lack of showers, and fitful sleep had taken its toll on them.

As an 11-year-old, Ava grappled with the growing uncertainty, wondering if she could truly trust her aunt. Despite the weariness, doubts crept into her mind. Her aunt was the only constant, the one who had picked her up when she fell, wiped her tears after school bullies left their mark. In Ava's eyes, she still held the maternal role, but an unsettling feeling gnawed at her gut. Something wasn't quite right.

Yet, Ava found herself in a dilemma. Her aunt was all she knew, the sole anchor in a sea of unknowns. The memories of comfort and care intertwined with a sense that something might be amiss. However, at the tender age of 11, Ava felt powerless and alone. Her thoughts drifted to the items and comforts they had left behind – the familiarity of her best friend, the routine of school – and she sighed.

As Ava got lost in her thoughts, she remained oblivious to her aunt's decision to veer off the beaten track onto a narrow dirt road. When she finally looked up, a canopy of trees enclosed them on either side, and the air thickened with fog, its density increasing with each passing moment. Her aunt, wearing a wry smile, spoke, "We are close now, dear. This fog is just an enchantment; we have to keep going."

Onward they went, the fog outside growing so dense that Ava felt as if the car were being compressed like a tin can. The trees lining the road and the view ahead vanished in the white haze. The outside world became an abstract painting of muted shapes and undefined boundaries. Inside the car, the atmosphere intensified. Ava's aunt's breathing seemed louder, or perhaps it was just her imagination. The pounding of her heart resonated so intensely that she could feel it in her ears. The tension reached its peak until her aunt broke it with a laughter, momentarily dispelling the unnerving silence that had settled between them.

A burst of laughter from her aunt coincided with a sudden forward lurch of the car, as if breaking free from an enchantment. In an instant, they emerged into the dazzling sunlight, and the thick fog that had surrounded them moments ago seemed to vanish. Ava, glancing at the wing mirror, marveled at the clear road left behind. This magical transition marked Ava's first taste of the enchanting world they had entered.

Peering forward, Ava noticed the trees becoming less dense, the road evolving from a dirt trail to a more refined path. The sun bathed them in warm rays, prompting Ava to roll down the window, inviting in the fresh air. The chorus of chirping birds greeted her ears, and in the distance, the unmistakable rumble of the sea reached them, with waves gently caressing the rocks—a harmonious melody accompanying their journey into the realms of magic.

Ava's aunt spoke with a sense of anticipation, "We are nearly here. When we arrive, it will seem strange. We are no longer in the human world, but we are not in our world either. The person we have come to see is so powerful that they have created a void in between, allowing them to exist in both worlds. Only certain beings can penetrate that wall of fog." The air buzzed with the mystique of the imminent encounter, and Ava braced herself for the surreal experience awaiting them.

Ava's aunt expertly maneuvered the car into a clearing perched atop a cliff, allowing the distant crash of waves to serenade the atmosphere. Positioned to the left of the clearing stood a colossal tree, its base so thick it could accommodate two of their houses back home. Ava, captivated by the grandeur of the tree, discovered a hidden doorway within its trunk. The outline of the entrance seemed to shimmer, drawing her attention.

"Aunt, there's a doorway in that massive tree," she exclaimed, a sense of wonder in her voice.

Her aunt released a deep breath, and for the first time in days, a genuine smile graced her face. "Yes, and the fact that you can see it means your powers are just under the surface. Soon, we can let them roam free." The clearing on the cliff, the ancient tree, and the magical doorway hinted at the extraordinary encounter awaiting them—an intersection of worlds and the unlocking of Ava's latent powers.

Ava drawn back to the tree watched in awa as the door opened and a figure stepped out into the sun

HiddenOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara