XVII. Quick Feet

CHAPTER SEVENTEENQUICK FEET!

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN
QUICK FEET!

I'M INDECISIVE.

This is something I've always known—being friends with Fallon didn't allow me to think otherwise. Where I couldn't pick between two pairs of shirts, she was able to look at clothing once and create an outfit.

Still, I hadn't realized just how deep this dilemma ran until Fallon pulled me away to help her pick a Halloween costume. Huxley's Halloween party came raining down on us like a gray cloud the closer the day came. It was an invitation only too. Theo had said that it was more for security reasons; multiple children of high-end celebrities would be attending.

It was this that reminded me that East Hill wasn't the boring public school based in Manhattan that I usually tricked my mind to believe. It was prestigious and known for their sports and high-ranking academics. I've been so focused on having my first kiss, and completing my volunteer hours, that I've forgotten that the reason why Aaron and I are able to attend this school. My mother was the head editorial for the book company she worked for. Overseeing the edits, the management, whatever changes need to be made to the book covers—she did it. She loved books. Thousands of them littered our house—in every corner there was a new book.

One day, I know that she'll grow the confidence to publish her own. It was in her blood.

My mothers side of the family originated from Spain, and while most still lived there, it was my Abuelita who decided to branch out of the country and into the U.S. My great-grandmother hadn't been happy with the idea and the two got into a big fight, splitting the family in two. Most of my aunts and uncles still lived in Europe, making big names for themselves. It was my mother that decided to take the big step and tore herself away from the usual occupations, reaching out for her dreams as an author. Supporting us and our family with what she made.

She met my father during school, while he was still performing as a professional boxer. She stuck with him when his career was ripped out of his hands due to a fatal injury, supported him as he went back to school and remade himself. They built a home together, humble and lively; away from the media. It's how they raised us that mattered: we lived comfortably. The first time I'd ever seen a mansion or manor was when Theo dragged me into his car and drove me to his home. We didn't live in a gated community, didn't drive the newest car, or soaked ourselves in the richest fabric.

We just lived.

But it was times like this that I was reminded that I went to a school filled to the brim with people who were either able to pay for the tuition, which was outrageously expensive, or got in through a scholarship. The kids that didn't want to go to East Hill went to Charlington, further than that was Upper East Side which was for the private academy's.

"I'm debating between cowgirl, red riding hood, and flapper girl." Fallon hummed, breaking me out of my earth shattering mind rabbles. I shook my head before wincing when my head thrummed, scalp still tender from the newly done braids. I'd asked my mum to get them done this weekend especially as the weather grew colder and my curls slowly began to break, their curl pattern growing weaker with the harsher winds.