Cluelessly falling in love / with you

i

i. d.s, Sugar, Spice & Everything Nice / ii. Angela Lowes, 2 Truths and a Lie / iii. Claire's Knee (1970) / iv. Catherine Abbey Hodges,Tar River Review (vol. 59, no. 2, Spring 2020) / v. Yves Olade, When Roame Falls

 Yves Olade, When Roame Falls

CLUELESS(2023) / ©SILKICHOR

"I'm full of poetry now.
Rot and poetry. Rotten poetry."
Ernest Hemingway, The Snow of Kilimanjaro

FIRST THINGS FIRST, Mara McCoy was not excited for her last year at East Hill High school. She was ready to escape the clutches of New York and fly into the world—she was like a bird; she lived her entire life in a silver cage. Glancing into the outside world through freshly cleaned bars. Mara would first go to Spain; she loved the country, the weather, the culture, frankly she just loved everything. ( Why not hit two birds with one stone and learn more about her herself? )

However, before she could go on this life changing journey, she had to accomplish two things—well more than two really, she had an entire list filled with things she wanted to accomplish by June; starting at one and ending at twenty—Graduation ( that was at the top of her list ) and of course, having her first kiss. This might come as a shock—or not—but Mara hasn't been kissed her entire seventeen years of living ( I mean . . . if she counts that one peck from seventh grade? . . . ) She hasn't as much as held hands with a boy and she was supposed to be graduating? It was pathetic, really. Another thing was the fact that to graduate, she needed community service hours; community hours she did not have.

So she came up with this mind blowing plan—not really since she was kind of forced anyways—tutor Theodore Camden and in return, get him to help her find a suitable date, crush, boyfriend, who cares? After all, they all fell under one title: love. It should be easy enough. Theodore was popular, handsome, kind of smart, and he was funny when he wasn't being a grump plus he had lots of friends.