Chapter 22: The Fairy in the Painting

I: The Flowers Are Not Sleeping

Chapter 22: The Fairy in the Painting

Not me! I didn't!

Grandma Kuriko said it would snow today.

Yayoi lived in the deepest part of the clan compound. Not many people knew about Yayoi's existence, and not many people were qualified to come to Yayoi's residence. Most of the time, Yayoi could only see Grandma Kuriko in her own residence.

Grandma Kuriko's hair was the same as Yayoi's hair, both red.

But Grandma Kuriko was different from Yayoi.

Yayoi couldn't tell exactly what was different. Yayoi's vocabulary was very limited. She was literate, but she couldn't describe it specifically.

Grandma Kuriko didn't like to talk and was not close to Yayoi. She would come out from nowhere only when Yayoi needed her. But Yayoi never knew what she needed, so Grandma Kuriko prepared Yayoi's basic needed and took care of her daily life.

When she got up in the morning, Yayoi saw the gray sky, which was actually not surprising in winter. Most of the time, Yayoi could only see black and white, except for the red in her hair.

The cherry blossom trees in the courtyard had lost all their leaves, and the grass on the ground had withered. Grandma Kuriko would sweep those withered leaves away. When the winter snow fell, the whole world would be buried in white snowflakes.

Grandma Kuriko said one more word to Yayoi today.

'It's going to snow today.'

"Will sister come today?" Yayoi wrapped herself into a ball and shrank her red head into the quilt.

Grandma Kuriko shook her head. Her face was full of ravines left by the years. Although her appearance was aging, her eyes were still clear.

"Mito-sama went out today." Grandma Kuriko told Yayoi.

Yayoi got up from the quilt. The wooden window frame was swayed by wind chimes in the howling cold wind. Looking from the window in the distance, one could see the gray sky, the snow-covered peaks, and their shallow outlines.

Her sister told Yayoi that their country was surrounded by the sea and there were very few places where you could see mountains. It just so happened that mountain could be seen from Yayoi's residence. There was a shrine built on the mountain. If the weather was good, Yayoi could see the red Torii.

"Will sister bring me a souvenir?" Yayoi asked, lying on the window sill.

The term 'souvenir' was taught by her brother-in-law. People who come back from an outing would bring gifts to their families. This was souvenir.

Brother-in-law was the person that her sister liked. Yayoi didn't quite understand what 'the person she liked' meant. Yayoi heard Grandma Kuriko say that he is her sister's future husband and would one day become Yayoi's brother-in-law.

Grandma Kuriko said yes.

In fact, every time her sister came back from outside the clan, she brought souvenirs to Yayoi.

Grandma Kuriko put the prepared clothes on the tatami. The elderly woman lowered her head and knelt on the tatami. Her red hair was neatly tied back. She was as quiet as a sculpture.

'Miss Yayoi, please grow up.'

The sound was vague, like the bells of an ancient temple echoing at dusk.