nine

It was a strange feeling, being in Japan and being in a war. One thing was going out into a battlefield that looked, felt, and smelt like one. Another was being in the middle of a bustling city that had people going about their usual day and knowing that none of them were involved in this bloody affair. It was odd to be traveling to a foreign country and know that you were not there on vacation, and there was a high possibility you could quite literally die, and yet no-one around you was none the wiser. Artoria was thinking about this as she stared out the cafe window, her eyes trained on a spot beyond the skyscrapers and busy people.

"—ter?"

Artoria blinked out of her trance as she heard her servant calling. "Hm?" She raised an eyebrow inquisitively while she wrapped a hand around her warm cup of tea.

"You seemed deep in thought..." He spoke, not quite sure of interrupting her.

"Hm?" She took a moment to process his words. "Mm, yes, I was thinking...

"You can share anything with me, if you'd like, that is."

She smiled ironically. He wasn't there as a confidant, he was there as a warrior. However, it was still nice to hear he was willing to listen to whatever mess of thoughts her mind was spewing at her. "It's just... funny, that's all."

He tilted his head and furrowed his brows as he questioned, "What is?"

Artoria shrugged. "The calm before the storm, I guess. We're here, drinking tea, enjoying the warmth...right before we go out to fight..."

"Are you appreciating the peace?"

"...Yes, I guess I am..." She mumbled as she looked down at the decorated mug. "You never know if we'll enjoy something as simple as this again." Her fingers traced the intricate designs.

"If there is anything I've learnt from my years as a knight, it's that even amidst war there are moments of peace," Diarmuid smiled, but it was more bitter than sweet.

How many years had he been a knight? How many battles had he lived through? Had he ever wanted to leave his knighthood behind?

Artoria remained silent as she took a sip of her tea, the hot water burning her lips lightly. Was going to war the right thing to do? Maybe she should've remained at home and let her parents tell her everything they were hiding from her...

"Shall we take a stroll?" Diarmuid asked, catching her attention once more.

Artoria looked up at him and then outside, seeing the windy overcast day beyond the window. "Yes, we might as well. We leave for Fuyuki in the morning."

Diarmuid stood from his seat and immediately strode to Artoria's side, helping her out of her chair. Artoria never took offense to this though, although at first she was skeptical of him opening doors, helping her out of the car, pulling her seat for her, and so on, she'd seen her father do it for her mother all the time and she knew it was part of who Diarmuid was, so she made sure not to deter him from having a sense of normalcy in this short-lived second life of his.

They made it out of the café and paced down the bustling street, barely exchanging any words, save for the occasional question that Diarmuid asked. As they weaved through the busy concrete sidewalk filled with people that had places to be and things to do, Diarmuid turned to her once more.

"My lady, I was wondering when we could train again?" His eyes held a mix of curiosity and concern. Somewhere along the way, Diarmuid had offered her his arm and she took it without a second thought. He spoke again, "I don't mean to rush you, you still need time to heal your wounds, but with the reality of war quickly approaching, I would be at great ease if you were more familiar with your weapon."