two

IT was probably the tenth time Artoria washed her hands. She scrubbed and scrubbed at the insignia on the back of her right hand as if she were Lady Macbeth, but her efforts were to no avail. She hadn't caught sight of the tattoo in the dim light of the basement once the summoning circle had stopped glowing. Sure, she had felt a slight burn in her hand but thought nothing of it until the basement lights started working again, and she saw the intricate symbols that painted the skin below her knuckles.

"Why won't it come off?" She scrubbed roughly, mumbling under her breath, hoping that if she just scrubbed harder, the tattoo would disappear. She reached for the coarse green dish sponge, squeezing dish soap into it.

"Master, would you like me to explain it again?" The man asked, standing stiffly next to her by the kitchen sink. "You can't get rid of it, not if you don't use the command spells or fully retract your status as master. I'll run through the rules again."

"You've already explained it twice. I get it, the war, the servants, the wish and whatever, but you don't understand. I didn't sign up for this!" The reality of it all had settled when the tattoo had not washed off on the fourth try and when she realized the man was definitely not a creepy cosplaying stalker. "I'm just a student!" She turned to him. "I'm supposed to be worried about my marks, about my future, not be worried about dying in a war I never asked to be a part of!" She gave a frustrated sigh as she stopped rubbing and threw the sponge into the sink. Her hand was red and aching now (if she had rubbed it any longer with the sponge, it probably would've torn her skin), and the tattoo wasn't even a single bit less dim. "I live in England. I've never even seen a war, much less been in one!" She shut her eyes and drew a shaky breath.

The man barely knew what to say. He wasn't sure what could make her feel better, and so he remained silent.

"I want out. This isn't for me! I can't just compete in a war! This is fucking insane."

"Master, if you wish to revoke your status, I will not argue. I would not want you to force yourself to be involved in something you despise. I do ask you—before you decide to break your contract with me—if there is a wish in your heart that you would fight for, what would it be?" The man asked. His eyes held curiosity but also seemed serious.

Artoria looked up at the man and then looked out the kitchen window. She pondered the question in her mind. Something she would fight for? World peace? No...it was too unattainable; people would always be cruel. True love? Was there even such a thing? No one knew what it meant to sacrifice; the world was too selfish to love anything truly. To see her brother once more?

A ringing in her ear grew deafening loud to the point that she had to cover her ears. The sound did not get muffled but instead grew louder and louder. She crouched the floor and groaned in pain. A memory that had been repressed for years had snaked its way back into her consciousness. The thought invaded her mind.

"If you could wish for anything from the Grail, what would it be?" The wrinkly hand of her great grandfather patted her head as the other held a thick leather book with some sort of insignia.

She looked up at the older man with wonder. "Anything?" She asked.

"Yes, my little princess, anything you could wish for."

Artoria pouted her lips. "If I could wish for anything, it would be to see my brother again." She smiled as she picked up her stuffed lion from the floor, wiping it off.

"Oh, sweetie, anything but that. You cannot bring anyone back to life," the man spoke, his voice soft, for he was talking to a ten-year-old.