seven

Artoria had been reading through the spell book, trying to find ways to heal her wounds quickly. Now that she knew she had to head to Fuyuki, wherever that was, she had to heal all her wounds before they boarded the plane. After having flipped through almost a hundred pages, she found it; a healing spell. Now the real question was, would she be able to perform it?

Artoria set the book on the bed in front of her. She read over the spell a few times before she sat straight and took a deep breath. She could feel Diarmuid's gaze on her, as if she were on the stage of a magic show. Artoria didn't bother looking at him as she steadied her breathing. The fact that she had an audience made her nervous ever so slightly, but she told herself there was no judgement from him.

The short blonde sat cross legged on the bed as she extended her hands above the book. She closed her eyes and practiced the spell in her mind twice to make sure she had it memorized and then, as she hovered her hands over the spell book, she focused intensely and recited the spell.

Reluctantly, she opened her eyes and saw that the cuts on her legs remained. She sighed. "Again," she said as she closed her eyes.

Her mind was set on one single thing; healing herself. She had to want it, she had to heal herself. Taking another deep breath, she recited the spell. But once again, there was no glow, there was no healing, there was no magic.

Artoria grunted. She tried again, and again, and again. Nothing. No progress at all. She let out an exasperated sigh as she clenched her hands into fists. She rubbed her face in anger. Why couldn't she get it right? Why was the spell not working? "Okay, okay," she settled down, trying to suppress the bubbling rage that was threatening to erupt. "Once more," she assured herself.

She grunted once she opened her eyes and noted she was still injured. "What the hell am I doing wrong? Why won't this bloody thing work?!" She exploded. Artoria snatched the book from the bed and nearly flung it against the television if Diarmuid hadn't stopped her.

"Master," he murmured as he landed his hand on the book, easing her to lay it back down on the bed gently. "You can't expect to learn something on the first try. It takes practice to become even a bit better, now, how about you try it once more?"

She rolled her eyes as she looked away. "I've already tried," she seethed between clenched teeth. "I'm not cut out for this! I can't even make a single spell, how am I supposed to be a proper master?" She threw herself back onto the cushioned headboard of the bed. "I'm useless."

"You are an amazing master. Now, try it once more," he said as he handed her the book. His eyes were gentle and patient and Artoria would admit that she seemed like she was a teenager throwing a fit.

Artoria took the book from his hands and opened it back to the healing spell. She was preparing herself to try it once more but Diarmuid closed the ok shut.

"Actually," he began, "how about we try it in the middle of the night? I hear that's when your mana is strongest, it might just work then."

She looked at him and nodded as she set the book down next to herself. "Very well, if you think we should try at night, then I agree with you. You know more about these sorts of things." She shuffled to get to the end of the bed. She stretched a bit before standing from the bed, wincing as her feet made contact with the floor. The bottom of her feet were still stinging with sharp pain, but they were starting to heal as she made sure to tend to the cuts well. "Well," she turned to him as she sighed, trying to breathe out the pain. "We need to get you some human clothes so that you don't attract much attention, and we need to prepare for our departure."