three

Artoria fidgeted with the tulle of the blue dress, rubbing the coarse fabric between the tips of her fingers. She would have rather stayed home to figure out every detail of this war, but of course, her mother didn't want to hear it when she begged to stay behind. Instead, the previous night, Artoria had stayed up, reading through some of her great grandfather's letters and documents she had found stashed in the cellar. Her servant had filled in some gaps, telling her about the other servant classes and giving her slightly more insight on the grail itself. Diarmuid had even told her about his noble phantasms and his weaknesses.

Igraine had told her that the lunch was moved and replaced to dinner that evening, as the Uruk family had an urgent inconvenience to attend to. It might have given Artoria and Diarmuid more time to weigh their options, but Artoria deemed it not enough.

"Honey, you seem nervous," Igraine spoke gently. "You needn't be."

Artoria lifted her head and offered her mother an obviously forced smile. "I'm not exactly nervous, mum. I'm bored."

Igraine gave her daughter an even look. "I know you didn't want to come, but at least try to look like you want to be here. What would Ninsun think? How would your lack of enthusiasm reflect on us?" She scolded.

Artoria rolled her eyes and sighed. "Fine, I understand," she groaned.

"Very well." Igraine set her attention back on a stack of documents that she held unto. She read over the pages and flipped through them now and again. "As long as you don't make fools of us, everything should go smoothly."

Artoria hummed in reply and let her gaze pass from her mother, who sat next to her, over the driver and settled beyond the car window to the setting sun. She had learned about a servant's ability to dematerialize and suggested to Diarmuid that he do so while they were out and about with her family.

If you don't mind me asking, where are we going? Artoria jumped at the sound of her servant's voice. She looked around for a second before she recalled she read that a servant could communicate with their master telepathically.

She didn't reply, not because she didn't want to, but rather because she didn't want her mother to be all over her if she even breathed differently. Artoria stared out her window, watching the trees and houses blur past. The sooner they got there, the sooner she could get back to planning war tactics with her servant. And the sooner she'd part ways with that less than pleasant acquaintance.

Although it had been sunny for the first day of May, it was still very chilly outside, even more so that the day was coming to an end; thus instinctively, Artoria wrapped her arms around herself and rubbed her upper arms in an attempt to feel warmer as soon as she left the car. Igraine stepped out from the luxury vehicle, leaving the stack of papers behind in the back seat and joined her daughter as they walked into the botanical gardens. The Uruk family had rented out the place to have their dinner there. Of course, they were rich enough to do so.

"Now, remember, dear, smile." Igraine reminded her. "You don't want them thinking you're a bore."

"Yes, mum," Arturia sighed. "I'll smile."

Once they stepped through the glass french doors, Artoria took in the sights of the thick green plants and scattered flowers. A brightly patterned butterfly flew a few centimetres in front of her, and she had to take a moment to admire it. The dinner wouldn't be so boring after all; the botanical garden was enough to keep her attention, to say the least. Inside the gardens, it was warm enough for her to feel refreshed in her sleeveless dress.

Artoria's eyes settled on a white iron table that sat on a cobbled patio amidst the surrounding plants' fresh, huge vibrant dark green leaves. The table was set with macrons, tarts and fruits on a stack platter and fine blue decorated white china plates with matching teacups. It had been a while since Artoria attended a high circle function, even if this was deemed more casual. Artoria found some delight in being surrounded by plants and flowers.