Chapter 176: The Crown Prince

Start from the beginning

Kurtz wiped his mouth with a napkin before adding softly, "It's the little things, isn't it? Though, I can't imagine how much more stressful it is for Karlmann and Siegs."

Or Gesta, Cabal thought. The director of their foreign affairs apparatus was one of the key staff who hadn't escaped with them. He never expressed his sentiment as a Dove, so he was sure he'd be fine, but his protege, Cielia, was rather outspoken. Hopefully, she wouldn't have to worry about anything more than Dallas replacing her position, if Marix even cared for the state of foreign affairs at this point of the war.

Cabal swallowed a piece of bacon as he listened in. It tasted great, throwing away all of his preconceptions. Something as simple as meat from a pig seemed to taste better than a fair amount of extravagant dishes back home. "This upheaval has cost us dearly; we've all lost something," he said in response to Kurtz's comment. "But in loss, new possibilities emerge. We must find our place here, learn from our hosts, and carve our future."

"And what future do you envision from this, Cabal?" Lux inquired. The way he said it made it seem like a test of his vision and resolve; not simply a question out of curiosity.

Cabal met his father's challenge head-on. "Opportunity. The Americans did not rescue us for intelligence; they have all the intelligence they need. If their history is any indicator, they need us for the new Gra Valkan government. Thus lues our opportunity: a platform to share our narrative, to distinguish ourselves from the shadow of Marix's ambition. It's a chance to redefine the legacy of our empire."

"Redefine, yes," Pastall added on with a cynical tone, "but under the Americans' terms. What good is our legacy if predetermined by another? What good is our future if not carved on our own? Their military cannot be beat and we have no leverage for negotiations. We made a mistake and now can see only one end to this war – unconditional surrender and the installation of a... puppet. Have you studied what the Americans did to a nation on their world, the nation of Imperial Japan?"

Lux folded his arms, answering before Cabal could even open his mouth to respond. "Reclaiming my throne is one aspiration, but the precedent set by Hirohito is not lost on me," he conceded. "Should the Americans propose a ceremonial role, I'd embrace it for the greater good of our people."

Pastall slunk back in his seat, nodding. He recognized the honor of Lux's concession – it took strength to step down from power; strength to favor humility over pride.

Cabal set down his utensils, contemplating the parallels of their situation with Earth's history. "Look at Japan's resurgence after their crushing defeat – a mere few decades, and they emerged as a global military and economic force. A similar revival may very well happen to us; patronage under the Americans needn't strip us of our glory."

He watched as his father stared at the empty plate before him, breaking the silence. "Well, let's see what our hosts have prepared for us."

They walked to the adjacent room where Protocol Officer Elaine Mercer awaited them. The briefing area was utilitarian, designed for function over form but had some modest aesthetic touches. Mercer greeted them with a professional nod. "Good morning. We have a full agenda today," she said, her tone businesslike.

As they settled into their seats, Cabal glanced at the documents in Mercer's hands – a detailed itinerary of meetings and briefings. She began, "Your first meeting is with the Bureau of Political-Military Affairs at the Department of State. They're keen to understand your perspective on the current situation in the Gra Valkas Empire, and are willing to provide updates on the ongoing conflict."

Since their rescue, they hadn't been able to keep informed on the war. The devices in the house were of no help, either, despite their efforts to connect to a news channel the night before. It was enticing; something that the Americans knew they'd jump at. But there were other concerns, and his father recognized them.