006

Tiwalade Jada Solé : 18                                                 Baltimore, Maryland

               Baltimore, Maryland

"That shit stung like a bitch," I explained to Deja as we walked through the hallway.

She wanted to get a snack from the vending machine, so I followed her to the cafeteria.

"But what exactly did she say?" she asked, slinging her backpack over one shoulder.

"She didn't want a relationship and doesn't see me in that way—like that hell?" I scrunched my face.

"Damn! She really said that?" Deja furrowed her brow, scanning the rows of snacks.

"Yup!" I nodded while she handed me a pack of Hot Flamin Cheetos.

"Y'all good?" Terry walked toward us.

"Hey dude! What's up?" I turned around, dapping him up.

"Hey Terry" Deja gave him a hug, before he kissed her cheeks.

"So, did you guys RSVP yet?" Terry asked.

"I for sure did—i'm ready to shake some ass" she squeaked.

"And you don't gotta worry about Tiwa—I did it for her" I nodded in agreement.

"Thanks guys—I'll see you tonight?" he pointed at deja, waiting for her response.

She blushed, "Yeah, see you tonight"

As he walked away, I nudged at Deja, "You know, I think he really likes you more than just a fuck buddy," I teased.

She rolled her eyes, "yeah, I know. We only be fucking but it's obviously he want more than that—i mean i do too"

"Oh? So why don't y'all go for it?" I asked.

She shrugged nonchalantly. "Who knows? Maybe we'll find out at the wedding."

"How about we talk about the fact that you're going on a date with the girl that just friend zoned you?" Deja busted out laughing.

I sighed, "She asked if we were still on and I said yes...it would be fun, i guess."

Deja's eyes widened, "Fun? More like nerve-wracking! Are you sure you don't wanna cancel?"

"I mean—i might as well go cause i'm gonna have to see her at the wedding on saturday" I shrugged.

She nodded, "Well if things get awkward, just skate away!" she laughed at her own joke.

"I promise you, It's not that funny" I rolled my eyes.

The bell rang and I walked out to the parking lot.

I spotted Dami leaning against my car, "Hey!" she waved me over.

"Have you been waiting?" I replied, unlocking the car.

"No, I just got here—I had to go to the locker room first.," She hopped into the passenger seat.

I started the car and pulled out of the parking lot.

"What do you be doing in the locker room? You don't play no sport" I asked, glancing at her.

"Damn! You insulting me now?" she adjusted her seatbelt.

"Yeah, actually! And don't even start with "dance is a sport"—cause it isn't," I shakes my head.

"Maybe—you can teach me how to play basketball, then?" She chuckled.

"No promises there, but you can come watch me play." I smiled.

Dami reached for the radio and put on the song, 'Johnny' by Yemi Alade as I drove off to the skating rink.

He go Canada
He go Tokyo
Yesterday he say he dey Morocco
He dance disco
He sing Awilo

The song filled the car as we both sang along bobbing our heads.

Afrobeats is my typa music. My family and I always visit Nigeria every other summer break; the food, music, and parties were my favorite part of the trips.

We pulled up to the skating rink, and I turned over at Dami, who was bubbling up with excitement in the passenger seat.

We made our way inside, and the smell of fresh popcorn filled the air.

After checking in at the front desk, we laced up our skates.

I stepped into the roller skating rink, I glanced over at Dami, who was effortlessly gliding across the floor.

"Hey, you okay?" she said with a warm smile, skating over to me. "Are you sure you know how to skate?"

"It's so obvious isn't it? I'm struggling" I admitted.

Her smile only widened, and she gently took my hand. "No worries, I can teach you! Here, put one foot forward like this..."

We skated with our hands locked in together, like I didn't let go of her hand.

๑๑๑๑๑๑

"I'm never doing that again—my ass kept falling." I rolled my eyes.

"Stop, cause you was grab me a bit too hard" she replied, trying to hold in her laugh.

After dropping off the skates, we made our way to the nearby food court.

Dami's eyes lit up as she spotted a Chinese food stall. "Let's get some stir-fry noodles," she suggested, tugging at my arm.

We made our way to the counter to place our order. "Two veggie stir-fry noodles, please," I said to the server.

Waiting for our food, Dami leaned in close, "not gonna lie—you look really good tonight" she whispered.

"You like playing with my feelings, don't you?" I replied, wrapping my arm around her waist.

"What?" She said, acting clueless.

"Don't play dumb, you reject me remember?" I replied.

"Don't do that...I said you look good, just accept the compliment" she reached out to intertwine her fingers with mine.

"And I like your hoodie, you know I'mma have to steal it," she added.

"You're not taking shit" I rolled my eyes, making her giggle.

We ate our food and then we walked back to the car cause the mall was about to close and we drove off to her house.