005

Tiwalade Jada Solé : 18                                                 Baltimore, Maryland

               Baltimore, Maryland

I let out a sigh, looking at the time realizing we were only halfway through practice.

I walked over to the bench and took a sip from my water bottle while talking to my other teammates.

We then stepped onto the basketball court, before Coach Wilson blow her whistle.

The finals are in two weeks, so practice was more demanding, so we started on warm-up drills.

"Come on, hustle up!" I yelled.

We did several layup drills before moving into our offensive sets.

"Remember, take your time, wait for the open shot," I said to my teammate, as we ran to the other side of the court.

As the practice went on, I call for a timeout. We gather in a huddle, sweat dripping down our foreheads.

"Alright guys, gather around" I called out, as they gathered in a circle.

"We've got the final coming up, and we need to be at the top of our game," I said.

"Jordan and Dom, I need y'all to keep driving to the hoop like you've been doing—y'all speed is crucial for getting past their defense."

"Got it!" They both nodded.

I continued, "so every dribble, pass, and shot counts..."

The coach blew the whistle, signaling the end of practice."Great hustle out there, everyone! Hit the showers and we'll meet back here tomorrow ready to do it all over again,"

We all walked back into the locker room, the air was heavy with a mix of stench and sweat.

It was more laid back once in the changing room.

One of my teammates leaned against the row of lockers, "we gone have to win with all this practices we been doing."

"That was brutal," Dakota groaned, collapsing onto the bench.

"Real shit," I replied.

"I can't wait to wash this sweat off," Jae exclaimed, reaching for her loofah and shampoo.

I agreed, grabbing a towel and heading towards the showers.

I changed into clean clothes afterwards and stepped out into the parking lot.

I approached my car, fished out my keys to unlock the door and tossed my bag onto the backseat.

Slipping into the driver's seat, I started the engine and headed to Dami's place.

Not gonna lie, I was excited to spent time with Dami outside of class.

We have been texting back and forth, but at first, it was just about homework or school events.

Eventually, though, we started chatting about ourselves and made plans to go ice skating this weekend—together!—alone!

I pulled up outside Dami's house and parked the car, before grabbing my bag from the backseat and climbed out of the car.

I walked up to the front door and knocked. The door swung open, a smile spread across her face when she saw me.

"Hey! I've been waiting for you," she said, moving aside.

"Come on in." We settled in the living room, with laptops open and papers spread out.

"I think we should start with the data analysis first," scrolling through the spreadsheet on my screen.

Dami sipped her drink, while nodding. "This graph here shows a significant correlation," She mentioned, pointing to her screen.

I leaned in for a closer look. "You're right. Let's highlight that in our presentation."

With the analysis done, we turned our attention to creating the slideshow. "You should work on the layout while I gather the visual," I pulled up a blank slide.

"Sounds good— but I want a break after this" she replied, opening folders of charts.

I dragged and dropped some data graphs into the presentation, while Dami tweaked the design, adding text and formatting.

While adding some final touches..."So how have you been?" Dami stretched her arms, letting out a sigh.

"Good?" I chuckled, taking it back at her abrupt question. "I just got back from practice—it's was mad stressful" I added.

"damn! Practice is that long?—have you even eaten?" She stood up, not letting me get a word in.

I followed her into the kitchen. She opened the fridge door, pulling out a container of rice.

Dami popped the rice into the microwave.

"Are we playing housewives now?" I settled onto one of the bar stools at the counter.

"haha! Very funny—I'm just tryna to feed you" she rolled her eyes.

She pulled out the steaming rice from the microwave. "Here you go" she placed the plate in front of her of me.

"You' seem really out there? Your parents aren't strict? " She asked.

"my mom for sure isn't, she just be chilling honestly" I grabbed my spoon, digging into the rice.

"And what about your dad?" She sat on the stool right next to me, placing her food on the counter.

"He left when I was nine..." I responded.

"Do you miss him? I'm sorry I'm getting personal" She apologized.

"You can't really miss what you didn't have" I shrugged.

Dami nodded, feeling a bit guilty for the question she just asked..."Okay my turn" i said facing her.

"Go ahead" She smiled, waiting for my question.

"Are you into girls" I asked.

"W-what?" her eyes widened in shock.

"I mean, you're cute—and I like you?" I smiled.

"Ohh! I'm not really open to my family yet—but all my close friends are aware" Dami said, facing toward me.

"And i'm not really looking for a relationship right now—i just don't see you like that" She tried to play it cool, but her voice was uncertain.

I smiled, trying to hide the disappointment in my eye, "I get you, just wanted to get that out there."

now that's why i don't be asking people out. It was really embarrassing.

Pls, don't forget to vote.