003

Tiwalade Jada Solé : 18                                                 Baltimore, Maryland

                                     Baltimore, Maryland

"People who got less than an 80% have to retake the test due to a follow up group project" Mrs. Jones, the teacher, passed out the test paper back.

I typed up notes as Mrs. Jones talked, "So partners are limited, This project requires you to divide into a group of two" I rolled my eyes.

She chuckled and turned to face other students who looked just as frustrated as I was.

"I know how much some of y'all hate group projects, but this will be the only one required for this class" She walked back to her desk.

"So, come over with a partner to get a research packet" immediately after she stopped talking, the class erupted into noise.

I sighed, thinking how awkward it would be to collaborate with someone I don't really know that well. Plus some people don't be doing any work, so you gotta do all that shit yourself.

I grumbled and glanced around but before I could even begin to search for someone who appeared sensible at least; a girl of dark complexion with locs quietly sat beside me.

I stared at her in silence—waiting for an explanation.    

"I acknowledge that I was at fault, bumping into you like that, but quite frankly! I don't appreciate the attitude you had" She pulled out a pink journal with a pen.

"But either way, you don't have anyone—I don't have anyone and I'm just trying to get this work done." She gave a shrug before facing toward me.

"Damnn—okay, we should definitely research about hormones...it's simple and quick to deliver" I felt after our initial encounter she would have written me off in a negative way.

"Honestly, I wasn't expecting you to approach me..." I stated, taking a sideways glance at her.

"You look like you get shit done, and I'm not about to do this shit all by myself" she replied, glancing at me but my gaze already fixed on her.

She got up and approached the teacher, who began to explain the project requirements.

Mrs. Jones pointed out to me, "Okay! So you and Dami are partners right?" I then nodded.

I mentally noted down her name, Dami.

I took in her appearance, from her locs with laid edges to her lashes, to her nostril piercing, and her plump glossy lips.

A part of me didn't wanted to keep staring but I could feel Dami's intense gaze on me.

I mean...Dami is incredibly attractive but the attention I was receiving from her made me feel aware—sort of.

I was more definitely getting ahead of myself, but she peaks my interest—I like what I like.

"Whoa! Do you speak Yoruba? Cause your full name is Tiwalade right?" she called out, approaching the table where i was seated.

"Yeah? I mean I'm half Nigerian and half Jamaican" I said curiously.

"I'm also Nigerian...I mean Dami—Damilola" She smiled in disbelief.

"That's so pretty—your name" I couldn't help but also smile at the realization.

"Thank you" as she sat down next me and began brainstorming ideas for our project.

After School
As the final bell rang; Deja, Tobi and I gathered our belongings and headed out of the school building.

"Damn! It's hot as hell" Deja fanned herself with her hand, as we walked across the parking lot toward my car.

With the windows rolled down, we all sang along to "Beggie Beggie by Ayra Starr" that was playing loudl.

Pulling up into the McDonald's drive-thru line and the smell of fries filled the air, making our mouth watery. 

"Can we get three large fries with three mcflurry? I responded to the attendant at the window.

We were handed the bag of our order. I drove off, heading to the Clubhouse, a hangout spot where students come in after school.

we dropped our backpacks and settled into the couch. Despite the amount of assignments we had, there was at least food to munch on.

"Yo! we don't be seeing you no more—what's up?" Tobi asked, dipping his fries into the mcflurry.

"I've been busy, especially with basketball practices...it takes most of my time" I leaned forward from my chair, crossing my legs on the stool in front of me.

"You sure about that?" Deja raised an eyebrow, and said "And it's not the girl I have been seeing you with around school lately."

Tobi laughed. "It's not funny, and it's not even like that for real—we just having fun" I rolled my eyes at her comment.

"Come on, Tiwa! And you know it would kinda work cause she's the captain of the step team" Deja argued.

"Maybe..." I nodded my head. I tried playing it cool as I nervously laughed, "but I don't even know if I'm ready for another relationship."

Honestly, I'm pretty open about my sexuality to my friends and family; although I kinda had to take my freedom by force when it came to my parents. I had lots of experience with girls on both, emotional and intimate levels.

"Then find out! we gonna help you—don't worry" her grin widened, nudging my arm with her elbow.

"Definitely! cause she be self sabotaging" Tobi added, shaking his head.

I scoffed, "Noo I don't!"

As the evening wore on, we all gathered our belongings and I drove back home.

I stepped through the front door. "Mom, I'm home!" I called out, kicking off my shoes to the side.

"Welcome back! I'm in a meeting right now" my mom yelled from the home office.

Making my way to the living room, my little brother was occupied with his toys.

"Mr. Sweetface!" I picked him up, and kissed his little chubby cheeks as he giggled.

I ruffled his head, setting him back on his play mat before heading to my room.

Dropping my bag on the floor, I collapsed onto my bed and reached for my phone to see a notification....

@Dxm1.Danesi has requested to follow you.