Chapter 8: The History [2]

As if he had pressed a button on the remote control, the room suddenly became tense. Ardyn could feel the heaviness of the atmosphere seeping into his skin, causing his palms to grow sweaty from apprehension.

"Okay. I did promise that I'd tell you everything." Evan nodded and took a seat on the bed beside Mathias, folding his arms across his chest. "But first, are you up for a little history lesson?"

Ardyn's eyes narrowed slightly.

"God, I hate history lessons the most," he complained.

That seemed to break the ice a bit, because Evan immediately laughed at his remark.

Mathias, however, seemed unmoved and lost in his own thoughts. Ardyn looked at him in confusion, unable to ignore the man's unusual behavior.

"Hey, big guy," he called out hesitantly. "Is something wrong? You don't seem well. Are you feeling sick?"

Evan followed Ardyn's gaze and looked at Mathias, who sighed and finally met their eyes.

"I'm fine," Mathias said quietly. "Don't mind me."

Despite his words, it was clear to the three of them that he was not fine at all.

Ardyn grew sick of it. "Just be frank with me. It's a bad thing that I'm here, isn't it?" he demanded.

In response, Mathias stiffened, unconsciously giving Ardyn the answer to his question.

Ardyn's heart skipped a beat.

No way.

"To be honest, it's complicated," Evan said, a helpless look coming over his face. "I'm sorry. I know it's hard for you right now, but... just listen to us first, okay?"

Mathias turned to him. "Prince..."

"Matty, we should wait a little longer," Evan said without even sparing him a glance. "I have already done my part like I told you earlier. Don't worry."

Mathias seemed to calm down a little at that.

Ardyn looked back and forth between the two of them, his frustration increasing by the second. Why were they still talking in riddles?

"First off..." Evan began, taking a deep breath and staring directly into Ardyn's eyes. "There are things about this world that you need to know. Things that the people here won't dare to speak about openly unless it's under certain circumstances."

Ardyn felt the subtle change in the air and swallowed visibly. He knew that he had to focus on this conversation in order to understand.

"I'm listening," he said, nodding for the man to continue.

"Our world... it used to be peaceful. The lands were rich in resources, the citizens lived healthy and happy lives, and there were very few wars between the four kingdoms," Evan explained. "Right now, you're here in the capital of the Silver Kingdom, the city of Angelbay. Our kingdom values traditional lessons, cultures, and rituals. We rely on magic, but not completely. Although we do have academies to train certain... individuals."

"Certain individuals?" Ardyn repeated.

"Yes. They're called 'Summoners' and 'Guardians'," Evan explained. "The Summoners mostly practice their craft in the Church, but they also take lessons in the academies. Both Summoners and Guardians are very crucial in this world. The people need them to survive."

"Survive? Survive what?" Ardyn said, confused.

I've only ever heard about Summoners and Guardians in video games and fantasy novels!