Run from snakes.

When Alex got back in a shirt Thomas didn't recognize, it immediately made the air between them tense.

"What is that?" Thomas asked, after giving him a welcoming kiss on the cheek.

"Ah... Nothing."

Alex remembered his altercation with Lee, as he looked at the shirt he was wearing.

"Nothing? Really? Alex this isn't yours." Thomas pried, pulling at the fabric on his partner's chest.

Alexander racked his brains for an explanation. Not willing to say the truth.

"Someone bumped into me in the hallway and spilled coffee all over me, John was kind enough to lend me a shirt. I'm telling you, it's nothing."

"Laurens?"

"Yes..."

"Since when is he talking to you again?" Jefferson didn't want to let it go.

"Since today. Apparently... Thomas, can we not do this right now? I'm exhausted. I'm gonna - go to bed." Hamilton didn't even look at him and just meandered his way up the stairs. The soft click of the bedroom door closing, being the last of their conversation. Leaving Thomas, alone and confused.

*

That evening would be the first of a downward spiral for the both of them. As the days went by, Alex grew distant, staying at the office burning the midnight oil. Frequently getting phone calls in the evenings from Jefferson.

"Alex? It's past eleven. Where are you?"

"Mm, at the office."

"Again? Seriously?" He could hear that Thomas was probably holding Grace, as he spoke to him.

"Yeah, sorry. I didn't see the time go by." He sighed. "Did you need anything?"

Small displeased cries could be heard in the background on the other side.

"It's been three days straight since you haven't been here to put Grace to bed and she's really not having it. She's upset and won't go to sleep. I don't think she likes me as much as she does you."

The cries in the background seemed to get stronger.

"Eh- Right. Sorry. I'll pack up and be on my way. I'll be home soon."

"Thank you."

A fatigued sigh escaped Thomas's lips before he hung up.

*

And very quickly a few days turned into more than a month. Things got worse. As Hamilton and Lauren's single drink after work to mend their friendship. Turned into a regular after-work meet-up. Causing Alex to return home completely drunk more than once. He'd wander into the room and fall straight into bed, in his boozed-soaked clothes.

"Alex?" Thomas grumbled into the night, awoken by his return.

"Mmm?" He landed in bed.

"God, you reek of whiskey. Get off." Jefferson pushed him away, making him fall to the floor.

"Let me sleep." Alexander slurred, as he tried to get in bed again.

"No. Alexander, it's three in the morning and you just got back home, drunk off your ass. You stink. You are not sleeping in this bed until you've scrubbed yourself clean and sobered up." He pushed him off again.

"But where am I going to sleep then?" Hamilton mumbled confused.

"I don't care," Jefferson whispered sharply trying not to wake their daughter who was sleeping in the crib next to their bed. "You can sleep on the couch for all I care."