When Two Worlds Collide | Winterwidow

Pairing: Natasha Romanoff x reader x Bucky Barnes
Warnings: Mentions of kidnapping, nightmares, whatever you would expect after Hydra and the Red Room
Requested by: PhoenixFlying666
Pronouns: They/Them 

Y/N's memories were... scattered at the best of times. After years -or maybe decades- of Hydra messing with their head, it was unavoidable. Sometimes the memories came back or disappeared again. They would be lucky if they got snippets of whispering to Bucky or cuddling with Natasha; those were few and far between.

They briefly recalled Bucky keeping a journal (after their escape from Hydra). They agreed it would be useful to write about all their memories, no matter how bad. But when they finally picked up their new notebook, all they could bare to write about was Natasha and Bucky. Re-reading it when nights got hard kept them sane.

Now and then Y/N tried to put the pages in order, hoping they could add more to the memories. However, everytime they got the same result. One Bucky pile then one Natasha pile. Eventually they gave up. Maybe they just weren't meant to be sorted.

There was more to worry about, anyway. Like finding the real Natasha and Bucky. Y/N thought they had Bucky at one point, having remembered the flat they lived in after Hydra. Upon arrival though, it turned out to be empty, as if it hadn't been lived in for years. Which was more than likely.

Strolling back to their temporary home one day (an empty house waiting to be bought) they stopped by a newsstand. Between the generic models and fake celebrities there was a flash of sticking red hair. If they hadn't been paying attention they would have walked straight past. It was Natasha! It was a little blurry -like the photographer had to fight for that angle- but they recognised those features.

The man behind the counter said something about being a librarian; Y/N was to shocked to listen. After all this time they found her. And conveniently enough, the article mention just where she was staying.

Y/N didn't bother going back to the empty house, just headed straight for the nearest train station. They sign have money for a ticket, but it didn't matter. Thanks to Hydra -or whoever birthed them- they could warp their body into whatever they wanted. Once on the train with their few possessions hidden something small (like a mouse) seemed most fitting.

♤♡◇♧

Light flooded the room, briefly blinding them as their eyes adjusted. Thud. Whatever was in the doorway fell to the ground. A figure lay surrounded by hair, or maybe blood, face down on the floor.

Natasha had returned from the mission, too bruised to stand,  but not enough to warrant medical attention. After checking her breathing and heart rate, Y/N tucked her into the narrow bed in the corner. Squeezing in beside her, they lay their head on her chest, listening to her heart and watching for movement.

♤♡◇♧

Jolting awake, they noticed the train had stopped and everyone was moving around. As people began to depart, Y/N scurried away. Stolen newspaper in hand, and back to their original size, Y/N made their trek through the bustling streets. Not sure if the tightness in their chest was from the crowds or excitement at finding their lost love, they escaped through an alleyway.

It was quiet along there. People were too afraid of being mugged or seeing something unpleasant to go that way. It gave them time to collect their thoughts. What they would do, what they would say, or would Natasha even want to see them. They were a reminder of her past, which she had clearly moved on from.

They jumped back into public before these thoughts could spiral into something worse.

Going with the flow of foot traffic, they were there. The Avengers tower loomed over them, casting its intimidating shadow across the street. Inside a few people moved about the reception. Not one of them would know Y/N and they would all turn them away the moment they stepped inside. Y/N hadn't exactly dressed up for this. Infact they were wearing the same outfit they had on for the last week.

Natasha wouldn't like that. No one likes bad hygiene. They should have at least found somewhere to shower, or taken those clothes they saw drying on a fire escape. Even if they did, how would they see her? They couldn't just change into a pigeon and fly up to the balcony. Unless-

"Y/N?"

Was that her? Was she really there or was their mind just playing a cruel trick on them? They turned around, slowly taking in the woman stood in the middle of the pavement. She wore sunglasses and a cap, a poor attempt to hide her identity. However, the public were so absorbed in their own lives that it seemed to do the trick. Following the arm of her stripy jumper, they noticed her hand clasped in another.

Hidden by a leather glove, silver metal peaked out under the sleeve. Now they knew their mind really was messing with them. There was no way fate would bring them together so easily.

His hair looked softer, like he had time to take care of it now. His features had softened. The short, fluffy beard rounded out his jawline perfectly.

"Hey, guys." They smiled sheepishly. "It's been a while."