The Cold Shoulder | Loki

Pairing: Loki x reader
Warnings: None
Requested by: BuckyGoddesswolf
Pronouns: They/Them

Loki had been away for so long. So long Y/N wasn't sure if he was coming back. He'd been away on equally long trips, but those were just to Asgard where his life wasn't in danger. It wasn't so bad in the beginning, before they got to know each other. As they got closer, however, the harder the missions became. Y/N caught themself worrying more and more each time. Even with regular updates (once they taught him to use a phone) they couldn't focus on anything. 

What was odd about this particular mission wasn't the length or even the lack of updates. It was not seeing Loki since he returned. Usually the first thing he did was find Y/N. That's what they were hoping for, as they had his return all planned out. They were going to stay in their room where it was quiet, wear their most comfortable (but relatively smart) top and tell him everything they felt. If it went wrong they could just go to sleep to feel better. After an entire day of waiting –they assumed he was just too tired to appear– they set out to find him. Other than his room, the only place he would be was in the library, hidden away in the corner by the window. 

Y/N was right. But as they approached, they noticed something was wrong. He was shielding his face with a book and wearing what looked like gloves. Loki would never wear blue gloves, especially not that shade. They reach out to pull the book away, only to jolt back as they felt how cold his skin was. It was like burying their hands in snow. 

Scared that they were hurt, Loki tossed the book away and grabbed the clothed portion of their arm to examine it. They stared in shock. His eyes were a deep red with raised lines decorating his features. Something must have made him look this way and he was too embarrassed to say. He usually prided himself on his strength and intelligence so it was no wonder he hid. 

Y/N must have gone too long without blinking, because a moment later Loki had fled. They tried to follow but all trace of him was gone. 

They rushed to the kitchen, knowing at least one person would be in there. Luckily it was Thor. Unbeknown to him as he munched on his pop tarts, they were almost shaking with worry. 

“Thor, have you seen Loki? I think he's injured or I'll or- or something!”

He gripped their shoulders, getting crumbs on their clothes. “Describe everything that looked wrong.”

“He was Blue, Thor! And his hands… his hand were so cold, colder than I've ever felt. And- and his eyes were red. Do you think something infected him on the mission?” Thor barked out a laugh at that, clutching his belly and using the counter for support. “Why are you laughing? He could be dying!”

“He is not dying, just moping. His energy was drained so he can't stop being blue.” Suddenly everything made sense. Loki had mentioned his heritage in passing, but they had never actually seen his true form. Y/N could understand that, though. Learning you were the monster you were taught to hate must be more painful that they could imagine. Saying a quick thank you, Y/N ran to Loki's room. 

“Loki, it's me.” They heard him mumble something along the lines of go away. Knocking on the door revealed it hadn't been closed properly. 

“I don't want to see you.” It felt like their first meeting all over again, but they knew he didn't mean it. 

“Then learn to close the door.” Sitting on the edge of the bed made him scoot away; they grabbed his hand. Already feeling numb, they refused to let go. “You don't need to hide yourself from me, Loki. I'm your friend.”

He scoffed. Keeping his gaze elsewhere, he kept trying to discretely pull his hand away. “Doesn't your hand hurt?”

“My hand is fine.” They both knew it wasn't. “I'm worried about you. Thor told me something drained your energy and I need to know you're okay. You don't need to hide anything from me.”

“I didn't want to scare you.” He finally managed to pull away, sitting as close to the edge as he could so he wouldn't freeze them again. 

“You could never scare me.”

“Don't be so sure.” He muttered, hoping they wouldn't hear. They did. 

“And what makes you think that?”

“My feelings that I can't hold in anymore.” He snapped, finally releasing some of his frustration on the person he least wanted to. He sighed, “You're always kind to me, even when I'm not, but you don't let me take you for granted. If I don't tell you how much I love you I might burst, but if I do I might lose you.”

“I'm not going anywhere, Loki.” They placed a hand on the clothes part of his arm this time. “Not when I feel the same. Next time something's wrong come and talk to me. You know I hate it when you give me the cold-”

He pressed his lips against theirs, shutting them up before they could finish their pun.