When he lifted my chin and forcefully made me maintain eye contact with him, my mouth went dry, and his eyes clouded in a haze.

“Please Alpha, forgive our recklessness,” my mom pleaded, standing beside me. “I take the blame for everything and I apologize.”

“Sorry doesn't cut it,” he growled. “This will never happen again. Do you understand me?”

Mom gave a strong nod.“Absolutely Alpha, I assure you this won't ever happen again."

Salty, hot tears burned in my eyes, giving me a stinging sensation. Seeing her get reprimanded on my behalf hurt too much.

D'Angelo turned to face me, his voice still harsh but his face softening.

"For as long as you live, do not try to escape this pack."

Mom held up her hand. "Alpha," she said as cautiously as she could. "We were wrong for attempting to leave, but please, I beg you to put yourself in Kira's shoes and think this through. Yes, it was risky and we ought to have waited until morning to leave, but I could not bear to see my daughter suffer because she was in grief."

He said nothing, giving my mother a chance to speak.

"I don't have to go into details as to why Kira is sad. She's not been herself ever since. And as if that wasn't enough, she also learned that you and your lady are expecting a child together."

D'Angelo looked at me and muttered a curse.

"And what does that have to do with anything?" he said after a long silence, crossing his arms over his chest.

"I know what it feels like to be bound by the mating bond. I have firsthand experience of the agony of living without one's mate. Kira’s case is worse because her mate is so close yet so far away. Please be sympathetic to my daughter's situation."

My mom's words were so deep that D'Angelo was visibly sweating now, tugging at his collar.

Then he held my hand. "Kira, let me prove to you that I have everything in control."

I pressed my lips together, looking away. My body craved the alpha and I wanted him so badly, but I did not trust him.

I couldn't trust him.

"My integrity is at stake," I said with a strained voice. "You heard all my mom said, and I couldn't have said it any better."

"I'm not asking you to do anything. I just want you to give me time to fix this."

"Fix what? Fix the fact that you're expecting a child and you hid it from me? Or the fact that you don't want to reject me? You're not helping matters, Alpha, and I don't want to make a nuisance of myself."

D'Angelo was reckless, trying to coerce me, ordering rather than asking, and my mom could tell that I was very close to snapping at him.

"Please, Alpha. My daughter is confused because everything is happening at once. I need you to think this through as you lay on your bed tonight. No baby deserves a broken home, and my innocent daughter doesn't deserve to suffer for too long. I'm counting on you to make a wise decision."

My mom held me and we left the alpha. I could feel his conflicted gaze on me. We headed upstairs, and I lay on my side, staring at the moon.

Mission aborted.

"Kira, you're restless," my mom said, running her finger up my hair after some minutes. "Try to get some sleep.”

"He's so arrogant," my voice choked. "He thinks just because we're omegas, he can command us like we're puppets.”

"You should be thankful, Kira. Those guards would have assaulted us."

The next morning, I woke up to an empty bed and remembered that it was my mom's turn to make breakfast. I brushed my teeth, washed my face, and joined her downstairs but stopped at the door when I noticed she was speaking with Zion in the kitchen.

She stood next to the microwave while Zion leaned on the countertop. She wasn't shouting, but I suspected that from Zion's facial expression, they were having a serious discussion. Zion's brow was wrinkled, and he had a fake smile on his face.

"Good morning," I announced my presence. He tilted his head in my direction. "What is going on?"

Mom communicated with her eyes, warning me to stay out of it.

"The sink is overflowing with dirty dishes. Please fix it.”

My mouth dropped open in disgust as I gazed at the sink, where dirty dishes were stacked like pancakes and leftover food was all over the countertop.

Zion and Mom carried on their conversation. When the microwave beeped, Zion assisted her in getting the food out of it.

There was no hiding the fact that I knew they were talking about me. So, I disposed of the garbage instead, spending some minutes outside. When I returned, Zion was arguing and feeling entitled.

"She's my girlfriend," he snapped at my mom. "I expect you to do better, Imani."

"Don't speak to my mom like that," I warned him.

"Kira, please shut up and don't magnify this," my mom demanded with a shrill voice. "I don't want drama “

"Unfortunately, that's her hobby," Zion said with a mocking tone, irritating me. "All because she wants to fuck the alpha."

"You know what? I'm done with you. It's over. I have no desire to be in a relationship with you.

The room fell silent abruptly, and Zion's head turned slowly to look at me. My mother looked on helplessly as I waited for Zion to act in the worst way.

"You are ending our relationship?"

"Yes, because you are not a good person. Whatever likeness I felt for you in the past has evaporated into nothingness. So please, for the love of all that is holy, please, avoid me. You and I will never work, so pray to the moon goddess that she grants you your mate."