Valentines Ball 2017

Mateo

Brook and I kick back in her bed. She's crashed out on my bare chest, and I'm just staring at the ceiling, lost in my own thoughts. We ditched school to... have sex, you know, and it was surprisingly good. Feels like everything's back to the usual. I mean, come on, it's Valentine's Day! Who wouldn't want a break from the school?

Had to take a breather from Nicky, honestly. Ever since our study session last week, things got kinda tense. Those awkward convos strictly about school were getting old. Now, here I am, trying to enjoy a good day with Brook before the Valentine's ball, but Nicky's still lingering in my thoughts. Even as Brook and I lay here together, naked, he's still on my mind.

I grab my phone off the dresser and type in his username: nicksmith_oninsta.

It matches his dad's handle, the one with the nickname Pete, which helps me remember it.

I'm itching to hit that follow button, curious about what he's up to every day, but for some reason, I can't. I stick to my usual routine, scrolling through his recent pics. It's mostly stuff with Laura and his other buddies. Nicky isn't a hardcore social media guy; occasional life updates are all he posts.

I sneak a peek at his Instagram stories to see what's happening. Volume down, so Brook won't hear. Luckily, it's just a pic of him holding what looks like a handmade red heart, probably a stage decoration he and Laura are setting up.

My thumb hovers next to his face. There's a hint of tiredness in his eyes, likely from the day's work. He mentioned it yesterday when we texted. Thankfully, we're not on bad terms, but our conversations lack the usual depth and nuance. Like how was our days? When are you free? What are you doing this weekend? Do you want to go on a damn date????

He's got this adorable closed smile, like a little kid told to look at the camera. Nicky's cute shy tendencies really take my breath away, and it gets me wondering—could Nicky actually be... Nicky? Ever since I peeked into his room, the idea's been on my mind. How could he possibly be a rapper... being as shy as he was?

You know, the famous one. Nicky Smith! I'm not oblivious to pop culture, and there's always been this debate about whether Peter Smith's son is the actual rapper. It's been debunked a million times, but I couldn't resist checking the other Instagram just in case. Like anything would show up, though; the dude wears a ski mask everywhere.

So, I hop onto Nicky Smith, the rapper's, Instagram to snoop for hints. No luck, just pics of his shows, the crowd, and that same ski mask. Then, I spot a photo of someone in a black leather jacket and the ski mask staring back at me, the mouth and eyes pitch black.

Hold on... the ski mask! Every time he's out, it's orange — Nicky's favorite color. I swear this could be-

My thoughts get interrupted as I feel Brook shifting beside me.

"Ugh," Brook lets out a tired moan as she stirs. I turn my phone off and decide to forget about the possibility... for now.

"Hey babes, I was just about to wake you up," I say, watching her rub her eyes as she sits up.

"It's fine. I needed some sleep," she croaks out. "Are we still going to the Valentine's ball?"