I May Have a Plan

Mateo

Silently seated at Mrs. Annie's desk, I remain still as she continues typing on her MacBook. It's been 10 minutes since we discussed my situation with Nicky being my partner. Earphones in, I immerse myself in music on my E-Reader, grateful for the school's allowance. Fear of Nicky's reaction led me to tell our issues to Mrs. Annie abruptly.

I need this project done man! I cannot afford to repeat anything again.

"Oh! Great. You're here," Mrs. Annie exclaims, rising and heading to the door. My gaze shifts upward as Nicky enters, looking perplexed. "Have a seat next to Mateo. You two are not in trouble," she said with her usual cheerful voice.

Avoiding eye contact, I focus on my E-Reader, dreading the confrontation. Nicky's presence brings a sweet, masculine scent, a mix of almond crème and Shea Butter. But it was one smell I knew all to well because I wear it—Coach Blue Cologne.

The smell attracted me even more and I had to fight the urge to attack the smaller boy. Nicky had a hint of sweetness mixed in with smell too.

"Ok boys," Mrs. Annie says, returning to her chair. With a relaxed demeanor, she addresses us. "I know this arrangement may be new, but I need you two to work together."

Turning to Nicky, she mentions his mother. "First of all, we all know the situation with your mother. How are you doing?"

Regret floods me for bringing it up; I forgot about Nicky's ongoing struggles with that lady. "It's fine," he replies casually, admitting the difficulty of handling it privately.

Fingers fiddling, I silently scold myself for my inconsideration. Mrs. Annie reassures Nicky about project extensions, acknowledging our issues. "I need you two to try and see if y'all can get this done."

We nod in understanding as she outlines expectations for our project for the rest of the conversation.

🧡🧡🧡🧡

After class, I approached his locker, finding him in an irate state as he rummaged through it.

"Hey, Smith," I murmured, mindful of our surroundings, not wanting anyone to catch on to our connection.

"What, Mateo?" he snapped in frustration.

"Look, I had no choice but to speak up," I said, leaning on the lockers with a hushed tone.

"To be honest, Mateo, I thought you preferred keeping your distance after ghosting me," he retorted bitterly.

"I thought you needed space, especially after what happened with your mom," I lied.

"Space? You could've just said you didn't want to deal with me anymore," he shot back.

Realizing the mess I created, I sighed. "It's not that simple, Nicky. I needed time to sort things out."

"What things, Mateo? You vanished, and now I'm stuck in a project meeting at your house with someone I barely know," he said, clearly frustrated.

"Someone you barely know," I ask, hurt laced in my voice as if cracked.

Regret must have shown on my face. His look of anger calmed, pursing his lips, stopping himself from whatever else he was going to say... I got the message.