Preface-Eleanor

February- Year 2033

The Aukai Territory was originally built in 2028 and we have lived here since 2031. Edward and I were asked to join the project when we were in college for marine biology. When it was being built Janice and George asked us to join the team. They said they were looking for Marine Biologist to study marine life for the government. They said it was "top secret" and that we weren't allowed to know the intentions behind the research we would find but we would be paid heavily for it. Edward and I agreed because of the money to fund college for our future children. At that time we didn't know that sooner than we expected we would be welcoming our son Ace to this world. Aukai is built to sustain life, because we are supposed to be here for a long time to study the marine life. We experiment on different fish, plants, algae, and even birds if they land on the deck. Soon after coming here we learned that there is something spreading throughout the world that is making everyone sick and they aren't sure what is causing it. The mainland has been calling in once a week to update us, each report is worse. The symptoms are transforming, it starts out as a normal common cold causing cough, runny nose, nausea, vomiting, sore throat until you start growing thick course fur all over your body, leading to abdominal pain, chest tightness, and blood shot eyes. Eventually leading you into a full organ failure causing patients to go in a coma. The hospitals are running out of supplies, everyone is being put on ventilation, and IVs. They don't know how to protect anyone from this so the hospital staffing is getting sick until they can't go on anymore. They are calling it "The Scruff" because of the course body hair that patients are growing. I think we were sent here to look for a cure for this and that's what our research is for but they won't admit it. George and Edward have been very close since we came here. They stop talking when I come into the room and Edward avoids my questions when I ask. He just says they are just talking about normal stuff nothing that concerns me. Luckily, The scruff hasn't spread here yet. We are hoping with the isolation it won't reach us but time will tell.