twenty-three

Dabi's POV:

Son of a bitch, he promised he would be careful. He promised he would get hurt. It's not his fault. I swear if I find the motherfucker that did this I will end his life. 

We weren't allowed to ride in the ambulance so we had to drive to the hospital separately. We make our way to the third floor and go to the receptionist to find his room. 

"I'm sorry, we're only allowing family in the room at this time. Are any of you kin?" The lady ask with a smile that didn't match the situation. "Shit," I mumble. "I'm his brother." Tamaki lies stepping forward. "Please come with me. The rest of you can make your way to the waiting room."

+

After two hours most of us had left. Jin and Himiko had dinner plans with her parents and Nejire had a babysitting gig she couldn't back out of. Shuichi wanted to stay but if pass his curfew, Rumi drove him home. Keigo and Fuyumi had fallen asleep on top of each other by the time Tamaki came out of the room. He silently sits down in the chair next to me. 

"Is it bad?" I ask, not really wanting an answer.  "He has an concussion and his wrist is fractured. They think there's some internal bleeding. Other than that...a lot of bruising." He lets out a sigh. "Shit," he mumbles. That might be the first time I've heard him curse. "He's still unconscious," he adds. "They believed you're his brother?" If possible, his eyes look even more tired. "We come here often so most of them do. If they don't...I think they just feel bad for us," he explains. Us. Does that mean his parents are also-

"I have to go home. My mom is getting sick again and my dad is working over time so I have to make her dinner and make sure she takes her meds. Mr. Aizawa will be here soon, I think Stain will be too. Do you mind staying just a little bit longer? At least until they get here? If he wakes up and no one is here he'll think no one cares. I promise I'll be back later and I-I can pay you...if you want?"

Half of the words went over my head. Why would a teacher come here? Why would he think he needs to bribe me to stay?

"You don't need to pay me, I'll stay here all night if I need to." He gives me a smile that doesn't meet his eyes. He gets out of his seat. "When he wakes up he's going to try to leave." He glares at me, sending a shiver down my spine. "Don't fucking let him. Tell him I said he needs gain some brain cells and sit his ass down." 

Then he leaves.

The pass few hours have been too damn much for me. I'm getting tired. I know I should stay awake so when he wakes up I can see him but...fuck I just want to go to sleep. As long as I'm here it should be okay, right? 

.....Right.

Shit. 

Two deep voice going back and forth waking me up. It's been thirty damn minutes. Why are people being so loud in a hospital? Fuyumi and Keigo are still asleep. 

"I told you not to let him in that fucking ring again."

"I am not his father, I can't tell him what to do Shota."

I push myself off the rows of chairs I feel asleep on and follow the voices. "You knew this was going to happen eventually, why would you fuckin-"

"Mr. Aizawa?"

They both turn to me. Aizawa and the same tall man from earlier. Must be the Stain guy Tamaki was talking about. "Dabi. I didn't know you were here." He looks like he just came out of bed. Black sweater, black sweatpants, black sandals. His hair is tied into a low messy bun. What teacher comes to the hospital in the middle of the night for one of their hundreds of students. "I've been here for hours," I say, wiping the remaining tiredness from my eyes.

My mind goes back to everything that happened. He looked like he was...in this trance. What the hell even happened? "Did you call Kotaro?" Stain ask probably forgetting I'm here. "I told him Tomura's helping me with grading." Kotaro. That must be his dad. Aizawa runs his hands through his hair, making it more of a mess. "Fuck, he told me was done," he mumbles to himself. "He is done. This was his last time." Aizawa glares at him. "You shouldn't have let him fucking skate." Stain doesn't respond. 

"What the hell did you say to him?" Stain glances at me and without asking for clarification on what I mean, he answers, "I just said some things about his father." That's were that sudden rage came from. "What. Did. You. Say." They share a glance between each other. "I brought up some of the shit he'd do." Now I was the one in rage. "Why the fuck would you do that?" He purposely triggered him for what? Better performance? Bullshit. 

"It's an outlet. They bring all of that pain and anger and they deal with that shit in the ring instead of taking it out on everyone else in their lives." 

No wonder he didn't want to stop skating. His father had always been violent so it would make sense...make sense that was how he dealt with his pain.

"Are you family?" We call turn to the nurse coming out of his room. "Uncle," Aizawa answers. I guess everyone is a damn liar. She scans over her clipboard. "Tomura is becoming more stable. We'll have to up his dosage to help with the pain but he should be okay to go home in a week." I feel a wave of relief crash over me. Aziawa nods. "Okay, thank you so much." She smiles. "Of course." She turns around but then quickly turns back to us. "Oh, I almost forgot, when you see Tomura can you please tell him to come back to his room. He needs to take his medication."

.....What?

"He said he needed to call his mother but that was half an hour ago." Aizawa's eyes go wide and his entire body goes stiff. "Tomura doesn't have a mother." I feel my heart drop out of my chest. 

"When he wakes up he's going to try to leave. Don't fucking let him."

I lost him...again.