twenty-one

Dabi's POV:

"I don't know how I feel about this. You don't have to do it anymore, so why are you?" Tomura groans on the other end of the line. "I told you, just one more competition. Just to feel that rush again. It wasn't only about the pain, I loved it Dabi." It doesn't matter how many different ways he put it, I still felt uneasy. "But you said you were going to start doing more ice skating. Fuyumi's been giving you lessons, remember?"

"Yes, I remember. I was there. Dabi, you don't have to come. I don't mind going on my own." That would just make it worse. "No. No, I'm coming," I answer reluctantly. "Nice, it starts in ten minutes." Further conformation that he was doing this with or without my approval. One more. It's just one more. "I'll be there." I hang up feeling defeated. But I'll be a good boyfriend and I'll show up to support him. I go down stairs to see Fuyumi leaning against the counter. 

"Are you finally ready to go?" She groans. "Wait, Tomura told you before she told me?" She grabs the keys hanging up. "Yeah because he knew you'd throw a hissy fit, now lets goooo." I roll my eyes following her out the door and to the car. 

It's a fifteen minute drive and I text him thirty times. Doing his stretches, making sure he's staying hydrated, keeping his helmet buckled, making sure his skates fit comfortably. I only stop when he responds with, When I was a little boy I wanted nothing more than a mother  in my life. I regret ever having that thought process

Fuyumi laughs her ass off reading the text over my shoulder, we almost drift to the other lane.

I should let him be. He's happy and it's his last one. I should be happy for him. We both get out of the car and walk into the rink. It's packed, like more than normal. I didn't know these were such big events. "Look, there he is." Tomura. He's in the rink leaning against the border talking to...wait a fucking minute- "Dabi!" He skates past his friend and straight to me. "He-"

"Shuichi!?" He turns around to face me.
"Dabi!? What the hell are you doing here?" Tomura rolls off to the side slightly, getting out of our way. "What am I doing here? What are you doing here?" Tomura blinks in confusion. "Take a guess." Shuichi crosses his arms across his chest. "You didn't tell me Dabi was coming." He shrugs. "I didn't know it mattered. Anyway, Spinner I-"

"Wait this is Spinner?" 

"You got here less than two minutes ago and you're already stressing me out," Tomura groans. "Spinner, tell Stain I'll be there in a second." He nods and goes back into the ring. Tomura rolls in front of me and wraps his arms around my neck. "Hi." I kiss his forehead. "Sorry, I got distracted." 

Now that I'm actually looking at him I can take in what I'm really looking at. He's wearing baggy black pants with rips revealing his knees with a baggy black graphic tee. "I didn't know you could wear this kind of shit to skate." He lets go of my neck and fidgets with the hem of his black arm warmers. "Coach Stain says this is supposed to be our way of expressing ourselves. I'm just glad I don't have to feel exposed." 
"Isn't it dangerous to have this many layers on?"
"Dangerously hot."
I couldn't deny that so I kissed him instead. "Decay! Let's go!!" Spinner shouts fastening his helmet. "Decay? Shuichi?" I mumble. "The names help us dissociate." I don't ask him what that means or why it would be necessary. "Just...be careful?" He kisses my cheek. "I promise." 

I watch him skate off and once he's in the ring I go find a place to sit. "Dabi! Over here!" Nejire shouts with her arm around Tamaki's shoulders and sitting with...everyone. Who the hell did he talk to? Since when is he so social? Why was I the last person to know this event was happening!?

"What the hell are you guys doing here?" I ask, sitting next Rumi who is finger combing Fuyumi's hair.  "Tomura invited us," Himiko says. Keigo waves her off. "Technically he mentioned to me he was going to be skating in a competition and I asked if I could come since he came to my game and he asked me to ask if anyone else wanted to come too."

Okay....still anti-social.

"Oh, and apparently, Shuichi is here too," Jin says in disbelief.  I look back to the ring to see a tall man with black hair and a red bandanna talking into Tomura's ear. It's like with every word he gets more and more angry. No, the look in his eye is deeper than anger. Rage. Pure, utter rage. What the hell was he saying to him?

+

For once, the idiots are silent. Despite the constant shouting around us they stay dead quite, watching Tomura in awe. I don't fucking blame them.

He was an entire different person. That rage I saw was being pushed onto everyone around him. I couldn't help but flinch every time someone puts their hands on him. Though he was doing more damage. I didn't know he could be so violent but with his dad...I guess it makes sense. 

No it's wrong to think like that. 

He's nothing like his dad. This is his way of expressing himself. And to be fair, I'm enjoying watching him fuck them up. 

"Maybe I need to start skating," Rumi mumbles breaking the silence in the group. "Tomura could give us a class," Jin responds. Keigo throws his head back laughing. "Please, Tomura wouldn't have the patience to deal with us." That gets a laugh out of everybody which dies in almost an instant. 

Tamaki's eyes go wide and he shoots out of his seat making Nejire flinch. "TOMURA!!" I snap my head to the ring. Tomura...where's Tomura. Tomura, Tomura, Tomura, where the fuck did he go!?

I watch Shuichi  race to the other end of the ring cutting through the circle. Everyone stops skating. The tall man runs onto the floor following him. They both get onto the ground with panic in their eyes. It's not him, it's not Tomura. He's fine. So where the fuck is he?