Chapter 28: Focused

"Hey! How are ya?" The violence devil walked up to Senka and Aki with Kobeni and Kurose at his side

Kurose's scar seemed incomplete without his other half but she didn't seem anywhere in sight. He had a bandage wrapped around his head, his eyes downcast and almost emotionless.

"Kurose. It's been a while... we heard what happened to Tendou and Subaru... you don't need to push yourself to join this mission. That's the word from Ms. Makima. I agree with her. You ought to rest and recuperate." Aki suggests

The man with the bandaged head takes a moment, gathering his thoughts.

The hairs on Senka's nape stand at attention, her skin turning ice cold. She slides a hand over it, trying not to think too hard about her strange reaction that seemed to come out of no where.

"I begged Higashiyama and her buddy to help me slip out of the hospital to be here. I want to avenge my friends. I have to. Please!" Kurose bows towards Aki, his hair covering his eyes.

"I know how you feel... but..." Aki's conflicted expression did little to deter the man.

"Blondie there, is he Chainsaw then?" Kurose pointed to the boy behind Senka.

"Yeah, so what if I am?" Denji asks.

"I'm a pro too. I won't hold you back. Would you let me help you with this mission? Put 'er there?"

"I don't wanna touch some dude's hand."

"Denji!" Aki scolded, making the boy grimace.

He hesitantly holds up a hand, but before they could meet another hand blocks them.

Senka stands between them, her arm stretched protectively before Denji.

This man has been consciously ignoring me the whole time even when talking to Aki his attention was solely focused on Denji...

She didn't want to ignore the signs. Signs that something was very wrong.

Her brows furrowed in a way many have yet to see on her face. Her empty eyes blazed with suspicion and her stance was not friendly.

"Senka?" Denji muttered.

"What? I just wanted to shake his hand—"

Kurose began to explain himself but before he could, a car came barreling in, hitting all three of them. Kurose's body flew till his head hit a metal pole, staining it red. Denji landed farther, along with Senka.

The impact had left Denji bleeding from the head while Senka's body skid to a stop, her skin under her uniform bloody and scratched to kingdom come.

Power and Kobeni sat in the car that just killed one and injured two, their jaws hanging open with shock.

Power jumps out of the car that she was recklessly driving despite being a fiend and not a human.

"W...w...what the hell is wrong with you...?" Aki asked, disbelief written all over his face.

"I wasn't driving! It's her fault!" Power lies and points to Kobeni.

Shit

Senka tries to pry herself from the ground, but her hands hurt every time she flexed them and her face stung like a bitch.

"Senka!" Aki was by her side in a second, helping her to a sitting position. "Jesus Christ..." he takes in her injuries. He lets her lean on his chest as he kneels and checks for more wounds.

"Hayakawa! Look!" Kusakabe yelled.

Both Aki and Senka peer over to see a sight of unimaginable proportions.

"His face changed!" Kusakabe yelled, Kurose's face morphing into a new identity.

"I know this face... this is a devil hunter who moonlights as a hit man in America. He's one of three brothers. They have a contract with a skin devil. As far as I know, they can steal the appearances of corpses they've touched." Tamaoki said.

So Kurose is dead...

Senka could only speculate for now, but it was the only option that made sense as to why he had his face.

Aki breathes slowly, turning his head over to Power.

"I knew it! Looks like I was the only one who saw through the enemy's disguise! The glory is mine!! Mine!! All mine!!" Power skips to her buddy. "Denji I avenged you!!"

The chaos seemed to get more jarring every time Senka went in a mission with this crew and it was getting borderline insane to handle. But she had gone everywhere with Makima before all of this so it's still within her realm of business.

Aki turns back to her, "how are you-?" He cuts himself short, finding no scratch on her skin, the blood that poured from her flesh no longer present. "Okay that was too fast even for you. How are your wounds all healed?" He held her face, turning it left the right.

She didn't answer.

But later wounds would take a lot longer to recover.

Another update?

So soon?

Yes?😘

This is a short chapter, but the next ones should be longer :)

Thank you for reading and see you next chapter 🖤