Chapter 17: Nightmares

"Kon

"Kon." The hand sign for the certain devil morphed into Aki's hand, the silence after crawling up the man's throat and almost choking in the tension.

Senka watched as she sat in Aki's hospital bed, watching his hand.

"See? It isn't coming right?" Kurose mused. "You asked the fox for too much, so it's pissed at you. The fox isn't ever going to let you use it again, I'd bet."

Kurose looks at the weapon on the bed, close to Senka. "That sword's the curse devil's thing right? How much more can you use it?"

"So... this is what you meant by instruct?" Aki asks dryly.

"It's nice that you're quick in the uptake." Kurose comments.

"We came to consult with the human carriers in the special division." Tendou steps up. "Pardon the indescrete question, but did you not think it was time to quit after this incident? Actually, one of the other people in your division went to the private sector too."

"If you're going to continue then you're going to continue then you're going to have the resolve to keep going." Kurose says.

Senka stands, making her way to the exit, believing that's this conversation wasn't meant for her. She passes by the two, Kurose catching her arm. "This conversation concerns you as well." He says.

She looks down at his hand then back up at him, effectively relaying the message to unhand her. He does. She plops down on the bed again with her arms crossed, now more engaged with this visit.

"Resolve?" Aki asks.

"Yes, resolve." Kurose confirms.

"If you aren't going to quit, then you'll have to contract with an even stronger devil and dedicate yourself to the special division." Tendou speaks to Aki. "Quit the bureau and enjoy the rest of your life? Or stay on and see hell?" The ultimatum slams the room like a brick meeting a window.

Senka and Aki lock eyes, neither of them giving anything away to the other two. Kurose and Tendou look at each other, wondering what the hell they were supposed to do while the duo in front of them seemed to be perform mind reading on each other.

Senka tilted her head before looking away, leaving Aki to sigh as he stares at the back of her head.

"...the one who killed my family... and the one who killed my buddy are still alive." Aki finally looks at the two with determined eyes. "So what would I be quitting for...?"

"I see... understood." Kurose moves his gaze to Senka. "And you? You don't need a new devil, but considering what happened, quitting could be an option."

"She's not quitting either." Aki answers for her, a bitter taste filling his mouth.

Their silent convo consisted of both of them trying to convince to other to quit, but neither conceded, both stubborn.