Chapter 26: Ideal World

"What do you wanna be when you grow up?"

"Hmm... I like that question."

"Then answer."

Small chuckles bursted from them both, like playmates in their special corner.

"Well... I want to be happy. Very happy. The kind where no one would doubt it if they saw me walking on the street." Senka leaned her head on his shoulder.

His head lands on top of hers. "I don't think I've ever heard an answer like that to that question."

They sat outside his apartment late at night, the moon high in the sky. They were so busy talking that they had no time to light a cigarette to share like they usually do.

"Does it count?" She asks, holding onto his bicep.

"...yeah. I think it does." She could hear delight in his voice.

"What about you?" Senka asks.

For some odd reason, he didn't expect to be asked. She knew he didn't have long to live but still decided to give him freedom to dream of a future.

"If it was an ideal world without devils... I want to be someone others look up to." He says.

It was quite a content answer Senka thought. One that made her smile a tad.

"What if I said I look up to you now?" She traces a vein on his forearm.

"I'd say to stop staring at me, creep." He jokes dryly.

She lets out a breath that sort of sounded like a laugh.

"You are just so fucking funny, huh?" She lifts her head off his shoulder, pinching his cheek lightly.

He grabs her hand gently as she releases his skin from her fingertips. He guides her palm to lay flat of his cheek, simultaneously leaning into her warmth.

"You curse a lot, you know?" Aki closes his eyes with a humored breath.

"They were easy words to learn." Senka reasoned.

"Was it hard to learn new things?" He asked.

"With my amnesia a lot of things were difficult because I basically forgot common sense."

"I had to teach myself what the world was like with things like media and dictionaries. It was a process but in the end it was enough for me to get by and become a devil hunter." Senka liked stroking his cheek.

"Why did you want to become a devil hunter?" Aki asked.

"Want?" Senka laughed lightly. "This role was decided for me by Makima. Not like I was capable of making decisions anyways." Her voice didn't seem vengeful, just matter-of-fact. "And since I'm still alive I assume I'm okay at it."

Aki soaked in whatever she said, liking that he was learning more about her. Yet he felt a tinge of helplessness knowing he can't do anything about her amnesia.