27

Their cheers were horribly naive, and that was quickly made clear to them by a voice that boomed down upon them. "Well done, all of you. You've just murdered everyone I led with an unforeseen strategy. Dynamite—how simple. I wish I'd have thought of it. Except, it's not as satisfying as getting up close and personal. To be honest with you all, I was hoping you had the capability of destroying my followers. It allows me to have you all to myself." The town tensed in apprehension and growled with fury. They were ready to end it once and for all. "Though," said the voice, "I have one wish. You see, I could kill all of you so easily. There's one man among you all that I wish to destroy the pride of more than anything. Lincoln."

       "You're a vampire, aren't you?" Lincoln didn't say anything. Zayus's voice appeared again, and this time it was not above them all, but specifically behind Lincoln. He whipped around and was shocked to see him. Zayus snarled at him, standing there in his dark, ghoulish form, disgusted by Lincoln's ostensible dishonesty. "Well, are you or aren't you?" he asked more aggressively. Lincoln refused to talk and started to loosen his body, feeling weak. He didn't want to say it in front of the town. "You're one of us. Remember that. You can't defy your nature, Lincoln. You're no vampire hunter. You're a vampire with a 'lone-wolf' complex. I'm sure the trauma you bear in that black clothing and tiny dagger hold you back quite a bit, but save face. You're a man who's revered. You're a hard shell. Truth is, as much as I hate your deceit, I very much respect your courage and resilience."

"But," he says abruptly, "I do wish to test your resolve." He snapped and the world around them—everything and everyone—turned black. It was like they were now isolated inside a void. Every word spoken echoed, and every footstep was heard with great intensity. A light shone down like a spotlight on a stage, illuminating Zayus in a white glow. It followed his position as he took slow steps towards Lincoln. He stopped ten feet before him, and spoke: "What separates a vampire from a human? Are you aware? It's easy when you think about it. Past the fangs and pale skin and superior strength... we're predators. Sure, humans may hunt the occasional deer, but what do they depend on? Slaughterhouses? Factories? Killing without skill or effort; how embarrassing. Us—me and you, and the rest of the undead and lucky 'diseased'—we are actual predators. We feed on the weak, but in doing so, we improve ourselves. We fight, we get better, and we evolve. We are better—as simple as that."

"You're nothing," Lincoln said. "You're power-hungry and boring. You say I have a complex? I'm sure you're a smart guy, Zayus, but you forget yourself. What about your pitiful superiority complex? God, how can I even take you seriously when all you do is keep on bragging about how strong you are?" That was the final straw, and anger took hold of Zayus's focus, causing him to dash forward.