26

Ronnie assigned a man to watch over the path that headed eastward out of town. The same path where Lincoln and Helsing spotted Zayus for the first time. He was bored and began to reach down for the book he brought with him. As he bent down, a faint noise called from the distance. He looked up, still bent over, and witnessed an approaching army that marched forward in a wave of darkness and malign air. "Holy corn-cob!" He sprung up and fear straightened his back. He started to back up, then transitioned into a full flee to the nearby bell tower. He sprinted up the stairs round and round until eventually coming to the top. He reached for the large dangling rope above him and tugged it down, which swayed the bell and made periodic bangs and rings that echoed throughout the town. Everyone who heard it jumped on their feet and ran outside. They came to the east side, bringing pitchforks, knives, baseball bats, and rifles with them. They looked like a band of survivors amid an apocalypse.

       The vampire crowd rushing forward in a large amalgam of pale horror only made hisses and taunts as they got closer. The town braced themselves and gripped their weapons tighter. "Everybody..." said the man in the front of the group. "CHARGE!" And so they did, in a brilliant and barbaric manner. It felt like an army of Romans driven forward by their outrage and bloodlust. Helsing, Lincoln, and Ronnie Anne all arrived at the same time, watching the scene from the edge of the slope. "GOD DAMN IT! You said they planned on staying put! Not rushing forward like a bunch of idiots in a bar fight!" Helsing shouted. "That's what they said!" she shouted back. Helsing grunted. "Did you get it, Lincoln?" He looked over at Ronnie and showed her first. It was a stick of dynamite he retrieved from a mine not far south. "Gramps used to break up ore all the time with this stuff. He said they had the most explosive dynamite you'd ever see... If this won't get the job done, nothing will." Helsing ripped it from Lincoln's hands. "We don't have much time. If those idiots get too close to them, this dynamite's going to hurt more than vampires."

       Helsing started running down the hill and pushed him harder than ever before. He stuck the dynamite in his mouth so he could use his arms to gain more momentum. His legs started to hurt and his feet started to ache, but he kept running. As soon as he passed the crowd of townspeople, he took the dynamite in hand, lit it with his cigarette lighter, and tossed it. The world turned bright for a second and then turned very, very dark. The people upon seeing this eruption of smoke and fire, slowed to a stop. The vampires were scant, and few still stood. Most of them rained down in pieces, which all blew away in the wind as ash. Helsing fell unconscious for a few seconds. After starting to wake, however, he pushed himself up; tearing his face from the grassy ground with a trail of drool. "Christ, I hope that looked cooler than it felt." Seeing the field which was once full of vampires now empty, (save dust, flames, and a large crater) made the town fall silent. Then, they rejoiced.

       "That's what you get, you freaks! Haha, yes! We did it! We actually did it!" Ronnie squealed. She hugged Lincoln and he tried to resist but quickly gave in to it. Helsing struggled to stand because of the lingering pain in his body, but when he finally got up, he patted off the dirt on his pants and looked around. He quickly realized something. Though the vampires were blown to smithereens, one of them had a distinct face that he couldn't forget. That was the face he was looking for and couldn't find. He tried to walk back to the town to warn them that Zayus had not been killed, but his limping soon led him to fall. This time, the smoke filled his lungs and he gave into weakness, falling unconscious. Nobody realized this because they were all too busy celebrating.