16

Helsing went to the motel he was staying at and entered inside. He had cases of personally crafted silver bullets, with the sole purpose of piercing through a vampire's chest. He pulled six from a stash and retrieved a revolver from the drawer of a cabinet. He had a task and he did not disclose it to anyone in this town. He set off for the forest that stayed around Stark County, where the branches whistle by the will of the wind. He walked for thirty minutes, then came to a stop. He looked at the forest with a pensive sadness before finally walking further. He could hear the fluttering of blackbirds and the howling of distant dogs. Betwixt the trees, there stood a large white oak tree. It was peculiar and was in an area where all the trees surrounding it were nothing but dark oak. Attached to that white tree, was a kid who was restrained by rope, which looped around his legs and chest.

       Helsing isn't spotted until he steps on a dry leaf, which turns the kid's head upward. "Dad?" he asked. Helsing didn't shake his head or nod. He didn't say anything at all. "Dad... It's you! Dad! Please, untie me! I'm hungry! I'm stuck!" It was not a happy sight, and even a tough man like Helsing felt a pain within himself. The kid yelled for him again. "Daddy! Please talk! Please..." But Helsing didn't say a word. He reached into his pocket, slowed by some internal sadness, and pulled out a revolver. His kid was born 9 years ago, but only two weeks back, he had been bitten by a vampire. Everyone who's bitten by a vampire will turn into a vampire. There have been no exceptions. Before he turned, he was able to strap him to a tree, and used the rope he packed with him to tie him. Now he stands before this kid, watching his pale skin squirm, and its veins darkened and coursing with the black energy of a vampire. He walked a few steps closer, aimed his revolver, and shot a silver bullet through his head.

       "Where have you been, Helsing? This is major!" she shouted as he walked inside. "Nowhere you need to know of. Ronnie Anne looked at him suspiciously, but she trusted him enough to not ask any further. "Okay—lots of news. Firstly, that 'migration map' you found, I sent some people over to replicate it on paper, so we have plenty of copies. Secondly, I sent some people to survey the eastern part of town for vampires, since that's the direction they're supposedly coming from. They've not spotted anyone yet, but they'll be keeping in touch over radio with some guys back in the town hall. If anything happens..."

       He cut her off before she could finish. "Then you'll use these." He retrieved his gun from his coat pocket. "Dang it, Helsing! We're in public, put that away." He rolled his eyes and unloaded it. Five silver bullets slid out from their chambers. "These are silver bullets. They kill a vampire quickly and efficiently. If you're sending anybody down there to fight, you're using these." Her eyes were tired but concerned. No doubt she'd been planning this whole thing out, and learning about something crucial like that, she was fast to accept it. "Alright, where do we get more?" He lit a cigarette and she patiently waited for him to exhale. "I have more. I'll bring them tonight." She nodded, and you could tell her stress was starting to fade, and a sense of courage finally arose within her. She smiled and put up her hand to give a salute to Helsing. He did it back, and they walked their separate ways.

       That night, Helsing had brought the silver ammunition and the men got themselves armed for the night. No vampires had been spotted yet, but now night had come, and one could only expect the worst. Lincoln found a note on his door when he'd returned home that asked him to come to a certain street. Ronnie Anne's pretty signature sat at the bottom. He went there and sat on the curb, waiting for her to reveal herself. She came out from a convenience store across the road, waving goodbye to somebody inside with one hand and holding a plastic bag full of vegetables in the other. She spotted Lincoln and walked over with a calm gait. "Didn't think you'd show up" she said to him. She sets the bag down on the curb and sits down next to Lincoln. "You never think I'll show up, and yet I always do. Have I not earned your trust yet?" She chuckles. "I guess you haven't." She looks into his eyes and zones out; captivated by him. "So," he starts, "what did you want to talk to me about?" A few cars pass, and there's a new beauty to the harsh sound of honking and zooming tires. "Helsing and I talked twice today. He gave the guys I sent East some silver bullets, which I guess can kill them. They haven't spotted anybody yet, though it's only... 10:56 AM. That was our first talk. Did he tell you about our second chat? It was a bit more private."

       Lincoln raised an eyebrow with suspicion. "Private? What do you mean, private?" She went on without acknowledging the jealousy he obviously was trying to hide. "Our second talk was about you, idiot. He said he was going to stand guard with the guys East to keep watch as well. He told me to relay a message to you, and I obliged. He wants you on guard tomorrow. Apparently, he wants you on "the front line," which must be some esoteric slang vampire hunters use, because I sent only five guys East. Not much need for a front line; nor a back, or middle line. Anyway, will you help him out?" Lincoln scoffed. "Why couldn't he ask me himself?" She picked up her bag of vegetables. "Because he's standing watch for 48 hours straight. He's still out there and he won't sleep until the clock hits 6 AM. So, you could say he's busy." She dipped her hand into the plastic bag and rustled around in it, eventually taking out a clove of garlic to hand to Lincoln. He takes it and looks over it with confusion. "I'm not hungry, but thanks." She lightly shoves his shoulder. "For the vampires, Lincoln! I'm going home to make a late-night salad. I wish you luck for tomorrow, soldier." She winked at him and walked off, leaving Lincoln to sit on the curb with a lump of garlic in his hand.