4

"You're a vampire," Lincoln said. The worker gave him a confused look. "Hardly, sir. I don't believe in them, myself. If I was a vampire, I'd drop everything, turn into a bat, and fly to the Bahamas! Anyways, enjoy the meal!" He walks off behind his counter and pulls out a small phone to fidget on. Lincoln doesn't take his eyes off him for one second. Without looking, he unwraps his sandwich, takes a bite, then stands up and walks over to him. "Oh, was something unsatisfactory about your sandwich?" Lincoln pulled the dagger from his back pocket and placed it against the worker's throat. He's scared, and his voice falters when he speaks. "H-h-hey mister, don't go and do something crazy, now! Listen, if it's money you want, I'll just give you that!" Lincoln snarls and pushes the blade harder against his neck. "Who are you trying to fool? I can see your fangs, you freak. It's my job to kill every last one of you." The worker was sweating profusely, and eventually, the pressure was too much for him, and he transformed into a bat and flew for the door. Unfortunately, the door was not open, so he hit the glass and rolled down and onto the floor. Lincoln walks over, gives one scornful look at the creature, and crushes the bat right under his shoe. He takes his sandwich and leaves.

The rest of the day carries on like any other. That is until it turns 7 o'clock, and Lincoln remembers that he'd made an appointment. He curses under his breath, still irritated that he'd not had a cigarette for hours. Arriving at the town hall, he stood there for a while, taking in the absolute size of the building. It rose high, and in front of it, two Doric-ordered columns held up a pitched roof, and a decorated frieze stripped across. He turns around and starts to walk off, quickly changing his mind about the whole "anniversary party" thing. But before he got very far, Ronnie Anne called out to him from the entrance of the building. "Lincoln! Hey! Where are you going?" He sighs as she sprints down the steps to talk with him. "I was," he said, "going back home. I don't think I'm a big 'party' person." She frowns, saddened by his statement. "Lincoln, you promised me. It'll be fun, I promise—I really do." He kicks a rock with his foot and watches it bounce across the street. "Alright, whatever. Do you have my cigarettes?" She winks at him, then reaches into her sweater pocket to pull out a pack for him. "I'm gonna have to see some ID," she jokes with a chuckle. "Odd, seems I left my license in my car. Guess I'll have to smoke without it" he says. They both walk up the large concrete steps and enter the town hall.

The place was thoroughly decorated, with lines of flowers strewn about the ceiling, and balloons flying up, held down by strings attached to small bagged weights. There were about forty or so people, mostly men and women in their fifties or sixties, but every now and then you'd see a younger person walking around sipping a glass of champagne. Lincoln spotted one of these people and asked, "Where do I get a glass of wine?" She looked at him with a warmer look than usual, probably satisfied that she'd gotten him to stay. "Thirsty already?" She led him over to a table where an elderly couple sat on foldable chairs. It seemed their job was to pass out papers that listed other upcoming events in the town. Ronnie Anne bent over with her hands on her thighs so that she could speak closer with the elders. "How's the party for you guys?" The older woman then replies, "Oh, honey, it's goin' great. Me and Will are having fun, aren't we Will?" Will, her husband beside her, groans. "Well," says Ronnie Anne, "I'll let you two have fun." The woman says, "You too, hon'," and then Ronnie Anne dragged Lincoln away by the arm. She starts holding him close, interlocking arms like in a square dance. It was as if they were at a fancy ball, where they strut around like royalty. Suddenly she unlinked and turned around to face him. They were inches from each other. Ronnie Anne looks at him with an affectionate gaze, one that arouses an unexpected romantic feeling within Lincoln. "I'm really happy you came." She moved closer, slowly; carefully. Her lips pursed. She closed her eyes, and for her, time had stopped.