22

The sun was still high in the sky and the air began to warm. Lincoln was using the last resources they had to command a small but effective army of cops, veterans, and regular townsfolk. Helsing may not have believed that the average person could handle vampires, but by utilizing the townsfolk, Lincoln instantly became more courageous and commendable as a leader. The citizens already had seen his skill on multiple occasions, as well as some of them even being saved by his adeptness. He was able to talk groups into joining the fight against the opposition and demanded closure for this unofficial deceleration of war. "Do you hear me?!" he shouted from the outdoor stage. "A silver bullet, a stake, or anything that can go through their dark hearts! We own this town and we are not willing to relinquish it!" The crowd cheers and a few wooden mugs are used to make a celebratory "Skoal!"

The rapture is interrupted when a loud whirring noise begins to sound. At first, it's hidden like a whisper, but then it whirls around as if the air starts to carry it around, creating an almost eery tornado-like effect. The cheerful drinking ceases and is replaced with collective confusion, with everyone looking around them and trying to spot the source of this bewildering noise. That's when a burst of black smog envelops their surroundings. As it dies out, the pollution fades, and people's eyes can regain sight. Unpleasantly, a surprise was waiting for them. A guest on the stage: Zayus Greek.

One of Helsing's previous men who had stood with him and Lincoln on watch duty the previous night, saw the figure and immediately panicked. He stumbled back and turned to run, but he was promptly shot in the head. "Sorry to use such force, but I guess he'll set an early example. No one here is permitted to leave until I say so," said the vampire. "I want you all to pay attention to everything I say because if you don't listen, I won't just be shooting the ones who run. Understand?" Nobody answered back, and with the courage they had, they were able to control themselves. Nobody began to shake or nervously sweat—they all just stared awaiting his next words.

"You have a nice little town here. I've come to like it. However, it's getting antiquated and needs renovation. To introduce myself: My name is Zayus Greek, and I lead a large group of vampires. We call ourselves 'Migration Colony 5.' Why that name you ask? Well, we're the fifth of ten separate vanguards, and we were assigned the very line of travel that pierces right through your town. We kill everyone along our path, exsanguinate and gorge ourselves, then move on to the next location. It's how we vampires have brought harmony and order amongst ourselves—otherwise, we'd be all over the place. If we became too much of a pandemic, governments would send their operatives to come and gun us down. Not that we would die from lead or copper bullets, but it would be a pain to hide our weakness from them. I'm sure it's not below them to pluck one of us to do sickening studies on."

"Now take a seat, because I have some more to tell you."