20

Lincoln finished explaining the event to Ronnie Anne, and as expected, she became thoroughly stressed. Her reaction though was not entirely what he'd imagined it would be. She stared over his shoulder and entered a sort of daze. She stayed like this for a minute or so before Lincoln decided to try and reach her. "Ronnie? Are you okay?" She flinched at his words as if they'd jumped at her, and she hastily apologized. "Sorry... I'm sorry." Lincoln could tell she wanted to act urgently, but she just was too stunned—too stressed—too fatigued—to think up anything. She was degrading. If she endured any more of this chaos, what would happen to her? Would she pass out? Would she get sick? Would she die? That last possibility was more of a product of catastrophizing than it was being logical. Lincoln tried to keep his head straight. Everyone seemed to be out of their mind, and it was like the whole town was being affected by this insanity.

       "I hate to ask this," Lincoln said, "but what do you want us to do, Ronnie? I feel like up until this point we've been able to keep control of the town, but Stark County can only sustain itself for so long. Based on Helsing's reaction, it seems we're running out of time. This Zayus guy, as much as I hate to admit it, might be a bigger threat than anything we've faced before. We shot him in the head, Ronnie. He survived a silver bullet to his brain. I've never seen that in the tens of years I've been killing these bastards." She went back to staring off. It may have been a coping mechanism, with her brain trying to shut off and save her from the painful stress she was under. She was beginning to lose herself, so Lincoln put his hand on hers. She looked back at him, and her nervous face looked more helpless than ever. "Listen to me: You're the mayor of this goddamn town. You're the strongest person I know. Stronger than me; stronger than Helsing; stronger than anyone else in Stark. If anyone can figure out what to do, it's you."

       It was like there was finally life in her eyes. She lit up like a Christmas tree in the middle of a bleak storm. Lincoln found it nice to see someone relax for once. The past weeks have been incessant worry and strife. Being able to just share a moment of solace was the relief they both needed. A moment of comfort away from the harsh impending doom that they both wished to ignore, but could not. Misery loves company.

"I love you, Lincoln."

"I love you too."