25

Then a knock came at the door. No, rather, a pounding. As if somebody was trying to break in.

       The pounding on the door reached its peak before it finally gave way to the force and opened up. Barreling in came Helsing, who started panting after his efforts succeeded. "Helsing?" Ronnie said, confused. Lincoln stared in confusion as well, almost with a sense of suspicion. He wondered what brought the belligerent drunk back to them. Helsing clarified his intentions quickly though to put them at ease. "You know, I thought about it, and picturing you two amateurs handling this situation on your own gave me second-hand embarrassment." Despite his wry tone, Ronnie practically jumped with joy, springing over to Helsing to hug him. This made Helsing uncomfortable and Lincoln jealous. She promptly apologized to them both.

"So what do we do now? I mean this guy's basically invincible, right?" Ronnie asks. Helsing scoffs. "Every living thing can die. Just because a bullet won't kill him doesn't mean he can't meet his maker. When he got shot in the head, it took a few seconds for him to regenerate. Ergo, we could attack him, but this time we don't give him any time to heal. Here's a plan for you: We blow him up or we burn him. Instant desecration or relentless destruction. Lincoln loosened up and thought about the plan. He couldn't find any fault with it. It broke the rules of how to kill a vampire, but it's clear this Zayus was no ordinary vampire. He smirked and said to the both of them, "Well it looks like we got a shot after all. Can't believe I didn't think of it myself. The vampire hunter does it again, huh? I'm technically in charge of any vampire hunting operations, so Helsing, you need my consent to carry through with this." Helsing rolled his eyes. "Then say it, ass."

They stared at each other until Lincoln finally laughed. "Whatever, it's our only chance. Let's celebrate first, though. How about it? A couple of drinks? Ronnie has a whole cabinet of wine. Considering she's the mayor, I'm sure it's of utmost quality." She smiled and shrugged. "What can I say? I have expensive tastes. Can a girl not treat herself?" She went off and came back with three empty glasses, which she set on a table and filled with a bottle of wine she fetched. Helsing looked at the drinks and felt a slight guilt. "I'll pass," he says. Lincoln picks up his glass and swirls it like a wine snob. "Oh? So you've had a change of heart? God, what happened to you last night? Gets black-out drunk one day then passes on a drink the next. You're not giving up drinking, are you?" His face almost looks sad as he responds. "Yeah, I think I am."